Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

fendr1962

RVF Regular
I have a 2020 Coachman Freedom Express 192rbs. Last year I had new Goodyear ST tires installed to replace the tires that came with my new TT. I have put about 21,000 miles on these tires. I had them inspected and was told one of the rear tires (tandem axels) is wore down on the inside and is just about in need of replacement. Upon investigation on the internet I find someone who had a similar issue. He measured the distance between the center cap on the tires on the left side of and this was different then the distance between the two tires (Front to back) on the right side of his TT. His RV had the capability to adjust that axel so that he made them both the same distance on both sides of his TT. He said that this fixed the uneven wear that he was experiencing on the one tire. My TT does not have any way to the I can see to make that type of adjustment to make mine the same on both sides. But I was thinking I could loosen the nuts on the U joint connector and move (slide the axle on the leaf spring) back an 1/2 inch which would make the distance between the front and back tires equal. Is there any reason why I should not attempt this fix?

That problemis because of where the anchors were attatched to the frame that hold the springs to the frame. Your idea of loosening the U bolts and sliding the axle won't work due to the center bolt in the middle of the spring pack sits in a well in the axle perch. The correct way to fix it is to find out which (or both) axles are out of alignment and move the spring anchor(s) accordingly. You may be able to find an alignment shop that could "adjust" (bend) the spindle to make the tire run more true.

You are doing well to get 21K out of TT tires. After many TT's and many more miles I'm happy with getting 20k per set.

That problemis because of where the anchors were attatched to the frame that hold the springs to the frame. Your idea of loosening the U bolts and sliding the axle won't work due to the center bolt in the middle of the spring pack sits in a well in the axle perch. The correct way to fix it is to find out which (or both) axles are out of alignment and move the spring anchor(s) accordingly. You may be able to find an alignment shop that could "adjust" (bend) the spindle to make the tire run more true.
Thanks for your prompt response. Just the type info I needed. I hate to think what a repair shop is going to charge to fix it.

You may be under warranty on the axel, I would check. None the less if it was not right when built they may help you. Talk to Coachmen, find the service rep for your model on line.

Latest resources

Back