RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Dutchstar 4369
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
2014 Honda CRV
My 2015 DS came with two black antennas on the Forward roof about foot long. They are trashed. One is totally gone.
I wander if anyone knows if they are a standard feature, and what is their purpose? I’m not sure if I should replace, or eliminate them?

I think they are for the in-dash AM/FM radio and sound system AM/FM radio. I've heard that Newmar only sells the complete antenna unit, including coax. The good news is that I don't think the replacements are all that expensive.

Are your antennas mounted on a little ball that is secured by a screw? If so, I think you can buy the complete unit and just use the top half of the ball to replace the broken antennas. No need to re-run the coax unless, of course, it is somehow damaged.

TJ

Thanks TJ,
The bases are terribly rusted. But if they are AM/FM, how about replacing them with the little “shark fin” antennas that the cars use? These rubber ones must flap around like crazy, and obviously they are not corrosion proof.

Hey @Buly, on my Tiffin, the antenna on the left is for a CB antenna. It connects to a coax cable that comes down into the drivers side. The one on the right is for something else, probably an AM/FM antenna.

I can't imagine that Newmar would put 2 AM/FM antennas on the roof. I really believe the one on the drivers side is for a CB.

Thanks Jim,
I will investigate further after I’m finished with the SoftStart installations.

Nope, no CB. One is for the receiver for the surround sound, and the other is for the dash radio as TJ said. Those shark fin antennas you see on cars are for satellite radio, not for FM/AM. Replacement on Amazon... HERE
Edit: Not to confuse, the antenna has nothing to do with surround sound, just for FM reception.

Last edited:
Nope, no CB. One is for the receiver for the surround sound, and the other is for the dash radio as TJ said. Those shark fin antennas you see on cars are for satellite radio, not for FM/AM. Replacement on Amazon... HERE
Well there you go, that makes sense. The surround sound in my Tiffin has the AM/FM antennas mounted on the inside of the cabinet.

Edit: Not to confuse, the antenna has nothing to do with surround sound, just for FM reception.
Thank you for the link lostinfl. Looks like I may just screw the new top part on the old base?

That's what I would think. Mine are rusty around the screw, but I think the base would clean up.

Latest resources

Back