Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
Saturday I drove from Austin to Fredericksburg, TX. About a 90 minute drive and 4 lane road (2 lanes each direction). TWICE on a 70mph road the vehicle in front of me decides to literally STOP before turning off the road. I swerved and had a near miss, I have a feeling this would have been my fault but I'm curious if someone stops on a 70mph road like this if they are at fault? All on dashcam of course, but no need, I missed and learned the lesson, or one would think. Then a box truck does it where the first one was a small car. This one I could understand, he/she had to slow down before getting off the paved road to what I presume was an unpaved, not sure. Moral of the story is in the first incident I hit my brakes and I rarely have had my computer monitors move. I do have covers for them which I know I needed to be putting on but this leg did not, prior leg I did. So yeah, the $1300 32 inch 4K monitor collided with the 27in and cracked the screen. I threw it in the trash, was done with it. Day later I removed it from the trash realizing it could probably be repaired far cheaper than buying another monitor which would likely be another 27 at around $450. So I contacted LG and it does look like it's going to be a good outcome, repair is $300, I'm fine with that.

Tough day, and almost a very expensive one in multiple ways. Drive safe and put even more distance behind the one in front of you.

Saturday I drove from Austin to Fredericksburg, TX. About a 90 minute drive and 4 lane road (2 lanes each direction). TWICE on a 70mph road the vehicle in front of me decides to literally STOP before turning off the road. I swerved and had a near miss, I have a feeling this would have been my fault but I'm curious if someone stops on a 70mph road like this if they are at fault? All on dashcam of course, but no need, I missed and learned the lesson, or one would think. Then a box truck does it where the first one was a small car. This one I could understand, he/she had to slow down before getting off the paved road to what I presume was an unpaved, not sure. Moral of the story is in the first incident I hit my brakes and I rarely have had my computer monitors move. I do have covers for them which I know I needed to be putting on but this leg did not, prior leg I did. So yeah, the $1300 32 inch 4K monitor collided with the 27in and cracked the screen. I threw it in the trash, was done with it. Day later I removed it from the trash realizing it could probably be repaired far cheaper than buying another monitor which would likely be another 27 at around $450. So I contacted LG and it does look like it's going to be a good outcome, repair is $300, I'm fine with that.

Tough day, and almost a very expensive one in multiple ways. Drive safe and put even more distance behind the one in front of you.
Glad it wasn't worse, @Neal. Had the worst happened and you had collided with either one, I'm guessing you would have been found at fault. When you hit someone from behind, it is pretty much assumed that you are at fault, regardless of how stupidly the other guy performed.

With these big beasts of ours, keeping a lot of distance between us and the other guy is the name of the game. The problem is that when you stay back far enough to be safe, somebody cuts in and fills up the space. We use "Beaulah and Buzz" (our air horns) on those occasions.

We've driven a fair bit in Texas and let's just say we were not impressed by the local driving habits. Apologies to our Texas members; those lousy drivers were probably from out of state. :rolleyes:

TJ

We have the same problem in Georgia around Atlanta. The driving habits totally change. It's IMPOSSIBLE to leave enough room to stop between you and the vehicle in front of you because everyone uses that space as a place to fill in with their car. I've been known to lay down on the air horns myself. :ROFLMAO:

@Neal, glad you are safe and it is just a cracked monitor. Even better that Elli is in her kennel as that might not be good to have her come flying towards the front.

Glad it wasn’t too terrible Neal. Honestly, that’s probably one of the cheaper ways to relearn a lesson about following distances.

Maybe get yourself one of these and just strap it on the front end. Doesn’t even need to be functional to do the job. If you do make it functional though, reverse it so you can siphon their tanks while they’re in your safe space.
1609821940400.jpeg

Last edited:
@Neal, glad you are safe and it is just a cracked monitor. Even better that Elli is in her kennel as that might not be good to have her come flying towards the front.
She travels on the couch now but wears a harness buckled in.

Just in case of this instance, most electronics in our RV are either stored or fastened using self adhesive HD vercro. Granted your office is much more complex than our setup. We break down the "office" after use. There are various grades of self stick velcro available online.

You might also consider one of the various kinds of dual monitor stands that clamp or bolt to the desk itself and hold them side by side. Something like this maybe?

VIVO Dual LCD Monitor Desk Mount Stand Heavy Duty Fully Adjustable fits 2 /Tw... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009S750LA/?tag=rvf01-20

I used to put the monitors on the bed but realized they don’t really move or tilt in travel. Last winter I used ergotron desk mounts and that allowed them to move easier and were a problem. This was just a case of being too trusting or naive and it bit me. Live and learn.

Latest resources

Back