Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

dshep

RVF Newbee
On a western trip with my 2007 E450 C class 32 footer. Pulling the hills and mountain climbs pulling an auto trailer carrying '14 Mustang has been very disappointing. Owned for 2 years ,first big trip. Resorted to wife driving mustang and following me. Not seeing much improvement. Trailer is rented Uhaul that probably weighs as much as car. Plan on flat tow small car or jeep next year, maybe will help.

Only so much torque in a gasser. Patience required.

Unfortunately, it is what it is.

Beware, Jeeps are heavy.

On a western trip with my 2007 E450 C class 32 footer. Pulling the hills and mountain climbs pulling an auto trailer carrying '14 Mustang has been very disappointing. Owned for 2 years ,first big trip. Resorted to wife driving mustang and following me. Not seeing much improvement. Trailer is rented Uhaul that probably weighs as much as car. Plan on flat tow small car or jeep next year, maybe will help.
We flat tow a 2018 2 door Wrangler (weighs about 4000 lbs with stuff I haul in the back) with our 2011 Class A running a V10. I don't notice much difference towing or not but I don't hill climb at 70MPH. We usually travel at 65 and there aren't that many hills that slow us down a lot.

Your Mustang is lighter than my Jeep but your Car Hauler probably weighs just as much so you are probably trying to tug 6 to 7000 lbs. I hope your flat tow helps.

Darrell

Over the years they changed the V10 quite a bit giving it much more horse power and torque it’s hard to compare. Being an older RV I would say/guess you’re a bit heavier than newer ones as well. You might have a 4 speed trans while others have a 6 speed. As @Texas Clodhopper said, it is what it is. Take your time and enjoy the travels. And @Rollin Ollen is right about the speed. I have a V10 myself and keep it at about 60. I found if I go 55 mph I can get almost 11mpg. At 65 it’s about 7 mpg so speed always costs.

The V10 is a 6.8L with 360 hp. It’s not exactly a high torque or high hp engine. You’re driving the aerodynamic equivalent of a giant phone booth and then adding probably 6000 lbs in weight.
It’s going to be slow.
I tow a box trailer with my Class A and we slow quite a bit going uphill. If you feel the need to maintain highway speed on hills, your going to need a BIG DP.

When we had our 32 foot Forester we added the 5 Star Tuner to it. It had the v10 on the E450 chassis.

Made a big difference in performance overall. Was very pleased with it overall.

I had a 2016 Newmar 3710 V10 class A, this was the first year ford installed the 5 speed trans mission. It was an amazing difference especially on hills. Pulling uphill was no rocket ship but was adequate. Where it scared me was downhill braking while towing.
Momentum is your friend on hills, your entrance speed is critical especially in the OP’s configuration.

Patience will be required.
Spending money to go to a flat tow will save a little bit on weight, but you already said that your wife driving the mustang didn’t make much difference.
An older Class C with an older engine = heavier weight and less torque compared to newer units.
Like others have said, patience will be required. Enjoy the scenery and journey — or realize that you will have to pony up a lot more $ than a flat tow toad to be able to go up mountains/hills without slowing down.

Latest resources

Back