Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Universal Car Mount CD Slot Tablet Holder- any good?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Rich W.

Retired Fire Chief
RVF Supporter
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana 3427
RV Length
Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
6.7 ISB 360/800
TOW/TOAD
2001 Jeep Wrangler
Fulltimer
No
I ordered one of these because if it works it will make using my 11” i-pad much easier and will also make better use of the space currently wasted by my Clarion NX405 factory nav. These mounts get mixed reviews so Im wondering if anyone here has tried them. I ordered the one pictured but it was kind of a roll of the dice since there are so many on the market. I can see that I might have to modify it a bit to give it a little more vertical stability.
TIA!
1CAE753C-4F18-45E3-9659-5162D009F6E7.jpeg

Rich, I used one of these for a PHONE mount in my truck a while back. Made by iOTTIE, whom I really love their products.

I stopped, and sold them. Besides the actual phone cradle/clamp I didn’t care for, they do a couple things I wasn’t a fan of:

1. The slot clamp REALLY has to put a lot of spreading force to hold it in place. I can’t imagine holding an iPad with one. I was always concerned about deforming that slot or surrounding dash pieces; think a HURST Spreader!

2. I found the rubber grips just can’t hold over a long time, especially if you keep your dash nicely detailed. The pads will get slicker and slicker until the lay just can’t hold the clamp secure any longer.

Had it shipped to the Lighthouse Cove RV park in Crescent City and it got here about the same time I did. It will work well as long as it stays put but it does seem to have all the short-comings noted above. Hope it works for a while - makes much better use of the space.
E37728AC-4C0C-4382-B887-E3BE87B5E1C0.jpeg

Latest resources

Back