RVF Expert
RV Year
RV Make
Salem
RV Model
Hemisphere 346RK
RV Length
38'
Hey all, Wife and I are in Arizona now and are contemplating a way back to Minnesota. The way we are thinking is to go to Seattle, Wa. and make a right. The timeline we are looking at is to be in Minnesota the middle of May, so it would be real helpful to see what a few mountain passesare looking like when the time comes. I know I have seen a website that has all the western states traffic cameras and road conditions that you can click on to see the conditions in real time, but I can't find it. Anybody know what site I mean? I should have bookmarked it, but didn't.

I don't know of a current, updated website with all of the Western traffic cameras on it. There may be one somewhere, but I haven't found it. That said, each state's department of transportation (usually referred to as DOT) will have links in it to it's traffic camera system.

Since we live part of the year in Washington state and part in Montana, we are very familiar with the route you are proposing. That would be I-90. We make that trip 2-3 times a year and, last year, we used I-90 when we drove back to Nappanee, Indiana, for some service work on our coach. That took us through the area you will be going to.

First, mid-May will probably be OK, weather-wise, but you never know. Snow is still quite possible (but not likely) throughout May. We have traveled that route to Montana in late April most years and have usually been fine. A couple of times, however, we have delayed for a few days to let a late spring snow clear. When the roads are clear of actual snow and ice, traveling through those passes in the mid-day hours is preferable.

From Seattle, there are three primary passes on I-90 that you will need to be aware of; Snoqualmie Pass (Washington), 4th of July Pass (Idaho) and Lookout Pass (Idaho-Montana border). All have traffic cameras (links below).

Snoqualmie Pass: WSDOT - Mountain Pass Cameras

4th of July Pass: Idaho Transportation Department - Low Bandwidth Web - Mountain Pass - Fourth of July Pass

Lookout Pass: (Montana DOT) SCAN Web 6.0 - Camera

or

(Idaho DOT) Idaho Transportation Department - Low Bandwidth Web - Mountain Pass - Lookout Pass

By going to the home page of the state DOTs (including South Dakota and Minnesota for the remainder of your trip) you should find more complete camera locations and mountain pass weather conditions.

Safe travels.

TJ

Thanks, TJ. Yea, I knew about the state sites, but I have seen a what is billed a 'National" map, but there is almost nothing east of the Mississippi on it. It has been a long time since I have seen those hills like at least 35 years.........In fact the last time I was in Coeur d'Alene, I was looking up thinking "Geez, those new bridges for the freeway are a long ways up!". I know that by the time I get there the chance of snow is not that great, but I did run into snow in West Yellowstone, Mt last spring about the same time. I just don't want to get caught on top of a pass when there is snow on the road. Been there, done that in a semi..............

Awesome find! Thanks for posting.

Yup, they haven't updated it for the east but great stuff in the west - thanks for posting

Hey all, Wife and I are in Arizona now and are contemplating a way back to Minnesota. The way we are thinking is to go to Seattle, Wa. and make a right. The timeline we are looking at is to be in Minnesota the middle of May, so it would be real helpful to see what a few mountain passesare looking like when the time comes. I know I have seen a website that has all the western states traffic cameras and road conditions that you can click on to see the conditions in real time, but I can't find it. Anybody know what site I mean? I should have bookmarked it, but didn't.
Well I traveled that way a few times. You may think about tire chains if you have a large rv. Dont know about the web sight
(Practice dry easy wet) means learn to apply chains when it's nice out.

Latest resources

Back