RV Make
Alpinelite
RV Length
26'
TOW/TOAD
2016 Ram 1500
Fulltimer
Yes
This may be the way to test your ability to become a vanner.

So many things came to mind while watching this. None of which I will post, even though I found them to be humorous in my sick, demented kind of way. But I did have to wonder why I spent so much money on a damn toilet when I could have tossed a 5-gallon bucket in there instead. Probably because I realized that even with the pool noodles, Trish wasn't going to straddle a bucket, no matter how much money we saved. She's funny that way. I spoil her, what can I say?

So many things came to mind while watching this. None of which I will post, even though I found them to be humorous in my sick, demented kind of way. But I did have to wonder why I spent so much money on a damn toilet when I could have tossed a 5-gallon bucket in there instead. Probably because I realized that even with the pool noodles, Trish wasn't going to straddle a bucket, no matter how much money we saved. She's funny that way. I spoil her, what can I say?
Years ago, when we were much younger, we would "rough it" with out too much thought about comfort in order to get back in the bush to view scenery no other man had seen before. One day, when discussing another outing, my good wife suggested that the only way she was going back packing again was if I would pack a flushing toilet, a hot shower and a soft comfortable bed back into the bush for her to use. So ended our days of roughing it. I would have a hard time getting my wife to mount a 5 gallon pail even with pool noodles. I'll stick with our motorhome thank you. Happy wife = happy life. :)

Darrell

Last edited:
My thoughts were more, I think I will download this video! Now when I start feeling sorry for myself as my toys fail, I will make this my evening entertainment!!!! Should give me a lift!

I have a confession! The video above I didn't watch the bucket part of the video! Still haven't!

Also my objective was to offer alternatives to tent camping, as many that I would send to this forum to learn the ropes, would soon realize would not fit into the club. Another confession, that most here have realized! I am one of those that doesn't fit in the club! That said, my fit is background! And although I don't fit in this small corner of the universe, it is the best venue to help others with my skill set.

So as the saying goes, " you are the change the world needs", so! ! !

I use a DIY Composting toilet! Nothing special, but I have found it much less troublesome than the head most of you use, and much easier to service!!! In line with helping campers enjoy the outdoors, without breaking the bank, I will add to this thread so more people can feel they fit in here!

Not really a van video, but great for ideas. My prelude are the things I did differently when I did my cargo conversion. My cargo is 7×16 with a vee nose of 1.5 not included in the box measurements.

I built a Murphy bed version that had the dining table attached to the bottom. My 4×31 series batteries were in between the axles(edit correction)under the floor. My heater was a pellet rocket stove heater. Didn't have one but if I had had one the shower would have been a wet bath. So I have been looking again at my cargo again, right now it is a storage trailer, and considering a remake! We'll see!

For now enjoy the show! Then I will discuss the water heater and what I would do differently!

I really liked his plumbing, but I would not have drained the heater into the shower pan, the water would have been returned to the fresh water tank.

Last edited:
I've known about Bob Wells and his Home on Wheels Alliance Charity for awhile but only recently started looking at some of his online content. My curiosity is piqued, so we're going to snoop around at his RTR (Rubber Tramp Rendezvous) event at Quartzsite in January where his followers living in vans, SUVs and cars put their mobile lifestyle on display for all to see.

You can buy a portable camping toilet for around $80. Mine lasted for over 20 years. We even used it to potty train the girls when they were babies.

I used to post on that forum, I doubt it has changed much. I left when the more hardcore vanners started telling some poor newbie that he couldn't park his incomplete, under insulated van in an RV park because a bad winter storm was about to hit. There was no way he could keep the interior of his van above freezing without pulling into a park and plugging in. Thankfully he followed the advise a few of us saner posters gave him. He was there for about a week before temps warmed up enough for him to not freeze to death . The is not an exaggeration. I firmly believe the advise they gave him would have resulted in his death. His choice really ticked off the hardcore vanners. It creeped me out that they would push their agenda at the risk of his life. But that's not the only forum that I have run into that attitude.

Darlene baned tent camping,then no more pop up,then the truck camper, now we have a grey wolf 17 foot, I'm almost afraid of whats next,she really would like to have a motorhome o_OWE HATE HOTELS.

Latest resources

Back