Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

LonB

RVF Newbee
Hello, my name is Lonnie and I'm a new member. We purchased a Super Lite 241BH and a 2019 5.3L Tahoe to pull it. Of course, I'm fact checking after the fact.

I've read varying towing capacity ratings for the 2019 Tahoe with a 5.3L engine. Online search result range from 6,400 to 8,400 lbs. I did a vin search through camping world and it listing 8,400... The Chevy dealership listed 6,400. I'm assuming camping world is listing the towing capacity of a Tahoe with a 6.2L engine.

My main two questions... the trailers dry weight is 5,500 lbs... does anyone have any experience with pulling a trailer of this size with a 2018-2019 Tahoe with a 5.3L engine?

Does anyone have any feedback on pulling a trailer thats 900 lbs shy of a vehicles max towing capacity (6,400)? I'm assuming my max towing is 6,400lbs.

Thank you in advance

-Lonnie

Last edited:
I would be more concerned about the towing platform of the 2019 Tahoe than I would about the 5.3L engine's pulling ability. I believe the Tahoe's rated maximum towing capacity is 6,400 pounds and with a trailer dry weight of 5,500 pounds, you will almost certainly be overweight when the trailer is travel-ready. And, the relatively short wheelbase of the Tahoe will be less than ideal For a comfortable ride.

That said, if you are willing to be cautious and also accept some slow climbing of hills, you may be able to get away with that combination. Sorry to say, it would not be my first choice.

TJ

I would be more concerned about the towing platform of the 2019 Tahoe than I would about the 5.3L engine's pulling ability. I believe the Tahoe's rated maximum towing capacity is 6,400 pounds and with a trailer dry weight of 5,500 pounds, you will almost certainly be overweight when the trailer is travel-ready. And, the relatively short wheelbase of the Tahoe will be less than ideal For a comfortable ride.

That said, if you are willing to be cautious and also accept some slow climbing of hills, you may be able to get away with that combination. Sorry to say, it would not be my first choice.

TJ
@TJ&LadyDi Thank you for the feedback. This led me to a late night of researching the importance of a tow vehicles wheel base to TT length and the risk of sway. We've contacted the RV dealership about down sizing by at least 5 ft and 1K lbs. They said they'll work with us so we're waiting to hear back.

@TJ&LadyDi Thank you for the feedback. This led me to a late night of researching the importance of a tow vehicles wheel base to TT length and the risk of sway. We've contacted the RV dealership about down sizing by at least 5 ft and 1K lbs. They said they'll work with us so we're waiting to hear back.
Didn't mean to upset the apple cart, but I do think you are making a wise decision in reviewing your choices. Once you get the right combination, I'm sure you will enjoy the new RV.

TJ

After having towed our 26’ 5000 pound trailer with our 2009 towing package Tahoe, hubby went and bought an f250. We were well within our weights. Tahoe could pull 8400 pounds. But at 26’ he felt like the trailer was pushing the Tahoe and we had weight distribution and sway bars. It was the short wheel base on the Tahoe. You can be well within your specs on weights but still have problems with length. I wouldn’t tow anything longer than 22’ with a Tahoe for that reason.

Didn't mean to upset the apple cart, but I do think you are making a wise decision in reviewing your choices. Once you get the right combination, I'm sure you will enjoy the new RV.

TJ

@TJ&LadyDi The apple cart has been upset and returned. After careful consideration, we decided to back out of the purchase of the Tahoe and ordered the 2020 Sierra 1500 RST 6.2L, its being delivered this afternoon. This was a hard decision, sleep was lost but in the end we were 300 lbs from the Tahoe GCWR with camper, Tahoe, and passenger weight without gear. We have more that 2000lbs to work with and 147" WB vs the Tahoe 113" WB. Thank you for the perspective, this sent me down the right path

After having towed our 26’ 5000 pound trailer with our 2009 towing package Tahoe, hubby went and bought an f250. We were well within our weights. Tahoe could pull 8400 pounds. But at 26’ he felt like the trailer was pushing the Tahoe and we had weight distribution and sway bars. It was the short wheel base on the Tahoe. You can be well within your specs on weights but still have problems with length. I wouldn’t tow anything longer than 22’ with a Tahoe for that reason.

@Billie Bud thank you for sharing, this confirms we made the right decision to go with a different vehicle. We didnt even have the tow package and would habe been pushing the limits. Lesson learned, I know so much more about weight rates.

LonB
The only comment I will make on your decision is 1500 will work fine for this RV but not the next you going to purchase in a year or two down the road. Then you need 2500, 3500, or even DRW. I know this one you going to keep for many years and I have quite a few of those over the years LOL.

Latest resources

Back