RV Make
Holiday Rambler
RV Model
Vacationer
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
none at this time
Hello-
We are in the final stages of replacing the old carpet in our Holiday Rambler Vacationer with vinyl plank flooring from Costco. We have one large slide out, which rolls out on several cylindrical rollers. I am not sure how to approach this part, has anyone done something similar? I need to get the flooring under the rollers, but not sure how to do this. Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks,
Paul

The company that did our floors used a lift to pick the slide up and remove it so they could do the floors inside the coach. This also makes it much easier to attach the carpet to the underside of the slide. This is why I paid someone to do my floors. Doing the floors down the middle would be easy, but doing around and under the slides (and we have 4 of them) would take machinery and tools and expertise that I just didn't have. I'm normally a do it yourself kinda guy. I never pay ANYONE to do hardly ANYTHING for me because I'm usually not satisfied with their work. But this time I feel we made the right choice. I'd do it again.

Attachments

• IMG_1322.jpg
    IMG_1322.jpg
    578.8 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_1328.jpg
    IMG_1328.jpg
    454.7 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_1330.jpg
    IMG_1330.jpg
    437.9 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_1331.jpg
    IMG_1331.jpg
    567.5 KB · Views: 108
The company that did our floors used a lift to pick the slide up and remove it so they could do the floors inside the coach. This also makes it much easier to attach the carpet to the underside of the slide. This is why I paid someone to do my floors. Doing the floors down the middle would be easy, but doing around and under the slides (and we have 4 of them) would take machinery and tools and expertise that I just didn't have. I'm normally a do it yourself kinda guy. I never pay ANYONE to do hardly ANYTHING for me because I'm usually not satisfied with their work. But this time I feel we made the right choice. I'd do it again.
So they completely removed the slide outs to install the flooring? I have seen videos online where they used pump jacks to lift the slide out an inch or so, just enough to slip the flooring under the rollers. I am thinking of taking that approach, does this pose any risk of damage to the slide out? Flooring is nearly all installed, so getting a professional to finish the job would probably not be an option.
Paul

All of this depends on what type of slide out system you have, but the rollers maybe off the floor when the slide out if all the way out? I have basically a slider under mine and it is off the floor about 1/4" which is enough to slide the flooring under it.

All of this depends on what type of slide out system you have, but the rollers maybe off the floor when the slide out if all the way out? I have basically a slider under mine and it is off the floor about 1/4" which is enough to slide the flooring under it.
Good tip, I'll have to check on that. The rollers are in contact with the floor when the slide out is fully extended, but I will check if they are touching the floor when it is closed. I don't recall any marks on the carpet that would have indicated that they were. Thanks!

So they completely removed the slide outs to install the flooring? I have seen videos online where they used pump jacks to lift the slide out an inch or so, just enough to slip the flooring under the rollers. I am thinking of taking that approach, does this pose any risk of damage to the slide out? Flooring is nearly all installed, so getting a professional to finish the job would probably not be an option.
Paul
I don't think they removed the slides completely but the RV's I saw having the same type of work done had the slide outs on lifts and were tilted back some so you could get underneath them.

You don’t need the slides removed to install flooring

It looks beautiful. If you don't mind me asking, how much square feet of flooring did you have to buy ? what kind of costs am I looking at to get this professionally done ? I recently bought an Allegro similar size and I want to get the bedroom done also (currently covered in carpet)

Very nice

I bet they charged a good price to remove the slide

Latest resources

Back