Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Paul Horner

RVF Newbee
2020 39’9” xlr boost toy hauler. I have heated tanks and supposedly the artic package. And I'm in the cold winter and went to drain the black water tank, which was full. I also found out the main tank drains back into the rear half bath we never use. How wonderful! Anyway the wastegate was frozen on the main tank so got my heat gun out and got it open, great. Then I went to the rear tank and it was frozen to but to my surprise the wastegate is up inside the belly with no access. What now? The grey water is the same way. Yes furnace is on 68-72. Any ideas on how to get these open????

Admit up front I dont know your particular coach or its construction, and whether you have 30/50 amp shore power to work with, but if you have no access from the interior to the frozen plumbing I cant think of any good way to warm it than to open the belly up and apply direct heat to it. If you know presicely where the valve is at (and its the only item frozen) perhaps you could make a box like structure around the frozen area out of foam insulation board to contain the heat and place a heater in side it. A minor investment in some foam board, but less destructive than opening up the belly. Maybe time to look at a full (or partial) skirt and some aux heat to protect the plumbing moving forward. Keep us posted on what you do to work it out, its likely your not the only one in this situation this winter.

Yes I have thought of those options. The coach is a 2020 Forest River XLR Boost fifth wheel, 39'9". I specifically ordered this with Heated tanks because I knew I might be in the winter with it. The valves for Grey water and the half bath tank are in the under belly. I can follow the cable up to where it enters the belly. I guess my question would be is the waste gate valve located where the cable disappears? I would cut right there access the waste gate and wrap it with heat tape and insulation, however, I was hoping if someone has opened the belly to locate these that they could tell me where they are located after that cable disappears. Thanks for the feed back.
Paul

I have a 2020 Forest river xlr boost fifth wheel. I ordered this with heated tanks because I knew I would be seeing winter in it. So far so good, except the waste gates. This unit has a master bath and a half bath. The main black water tank the waste gate is exposed and of course it froze, (my fault no heat tape), but I was able to use a heat gun on it to thaw it and I lubed it up. Got that tank to drain. I should mention that this is parked on a private lot with no actual sewer connections other than running a hose to a sewer connection to drain when full.
Now I went to drain the second black water tank for the half bath and found the waste gate is up inside the underbelly. Also found out the grey water waste gate is also in the underbelly. And they are both frozen. There's heat on in the unit all the time nothing else is frozen. So I was surprised that I cannot open either of these. So my question is does anyone or has anyone located where the wastegate is on these tanks? Is the wastegate near where the cable disappears through the belly? If it is right there can I just cut through the underbelly, wrap it with heat tape and insulation and seal the belly at that point?

Thanks
Paul Horner

It sounds like your saying the actual gate or valve is not located where you attach a hose to dump. That does make for a problem! One would assume if inside the belly wrap it would be protected from freezing. I would assume the cable is close to the gate, but no way to know for sure. I wish I had more to offer, but other than doing exploratory surgery I have nothing. Maybe one of the techs at your selling dealer could advise you on the location?? Hopefully someone can chime in that knows the rig better or has had a similar experience.

It sounds like your saying the actual gate or valve is not located where you attach a hose to dump. That does make for a problem! One would assume if inside the belly wrap it would be protected from freezing. I would assume the cable is close to the gate, but no way to know for sure. I wish I had more to offer, but other than doing exploratory surgery I have nothing. Maybe one of the techs at your selling dealer could advise you on the location?? Hopefully someone can chime in that knows the rig better or has had a similar experience.
Where you attach the hose is accessible. The pipe runs into the belly and the waste gate cable also goes up into the belly. I cannot see the waste gate so posses a problem since it’s frozen shut.

You have fallen into the "all season" trap. These things are no more made for winter then a snowball in hell. Your best bet is to install a skirting as already mentioned and get some heat under the rig. The sooner the better. Skirting can be as little as 10 mil poly plastic sheeting to rigid foam fit to the ground and rig. A couple of electric heaters or Kerosene type called a salamander would work.

Are you using your propane heater to heat or are you using electric heaters? Normally when you use propane there are ducts in the belly to keep the plumbing above freezing. It's fine to use electric heat when above freezing but just soon as it goes below you should turn on your RV propane heaters.

To save time and money I would start at the cable and using a sharp utility knife I would cut the belly (Coroplast) following the cable until I reached the valve, Then I Would make a cut ton hree sides making a square area around the valve. creating a flap that you can bend down so you have access to the valve and use a hair dryer to put some heat on the valve to unfreeze it. Then use Gorilla Tape to close up where you made the cuts.

Latest resources

Back