• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Mannysplvd

RVF Newbee
Howdy.

Has anybody ever installed a tankless water heater, into a travel trailer. By tankless i mean like the ones you get at HomeDepot or Lowes which are normally used on houses, they are instant hot water. My 6 gallon electric and gas water heater just went out and I am curious to see if i can install the other kind of water heaters.

They make tankless for rv’s the ones for homes are just that. They are not meant to run on 12v power. Girrard is an option and so I fagotti. What you need to be aware of is the water pressure. ALL campers are regulated at 40psi, tankless needs 50psi so you would need to get a water pressure reg with a gauge and control no. (Cheap part) I have them at about $750-$950

If it were me I would stick with replacing your tank with the same RV type water heater. Also, I have never owned an RV that the water was regulated at 40psi. Not sure where that info comes from.

I added a circulation loop to my water heater. The loop added about a half gallon of water to the system. I had to put two backflow preventers. There is a pump to circulate the water. I now have instant hot water at every faucet.
The 12 volt pump is quiet. The pump draws 1 amp and pumps 3 gallon a minute according to the specifications. It is a wet rotor pump.
The loop can be labor intensive depending on your layout. My circulation loop also pumps thru a flat plate heat exchanger to heat the floor during cold weather.

Latest resources

Back