Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

FL Harry

RVF Newbee
I have a Tiffin Wayfarer TW towing a Chevy Spark. No problems with travel in eastern USA. However, years ago in a Lazy Daze I was a little unnerved in the Bighorn Mtns of WY. Plenty of power with Triton V-10 but still intense on downhills. Now older and a little wiser we have a Wayfarer and want to travel in the Rockies again. I have checked all weights. I am just under the 11,030 for GVW and well under the 15,250 CGVW at 13,200. That said does anyone have experience with a Tiffin Wayfarer in the Bighorn Mountains. I would imagine if I can travel there about anywhere else in the LOWER 48 would be fair game too.

We had a 2017 MBS towing a 2 door Jeep and crossed the continental divide more times than I wanted to count. Traveled through Oregon, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Utah and Colorado. No problems with the Mercedes engine pulling the Jeep. The bigger concern is going down the grades, rather than going up as you really have to downshift and use the brakes sparingly so as not to overheat of get fade. As long as you watch your speed, you're fine

Had CDL Training for work, don't go down any faster than you went up. All over West, and now east. I kept speed at 50 or below, and hand on the engine brake, or it on low. Have supplemental brake system on anything you tow, regardless of state law. Cabbage hill coming into Pendelton OR is a good example. Long stretch coming into Vegas too. There is a book or used to be, Mountain Passes west and east, I had both. Thinking about another RV, not sure how serious we are. But looking sorta.

Latest resources

Back