Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

livinthedriem

RVF Newbee
My husband and I have been travel-trailer campers for about 20 years now with our family and are considering becoming a full-timer couple in the near future. I love the idea of a compact living space and being able to see as much of our great country as possible. Looking for advice on the type of RV to transition to. Excited!

Welcome aboard!

We aren’t full timers, but if we were, we would stick with a class A because that is how we prefer to travel.

My observation is that folks full time in just about anything. So, whatever makes you happy, go with it. I encountered a young couple once who were fulltiming in a teardrop with a rather large German Shepard. Not for us, but it worked for them, and that’s all that matters.

Last edited:
Welcome @livinthedriem! We are 1 year into full timing, wouldn’t change it for the world. As @USMCRet said, we’ve met people full timing in everything. One couple from Canada we met in the keys was full time for 8 months in a popup with three kids and a dog. We thought that was pretty Incredible but it worked for them and they were just happy to be out of the cold!
The answer is different for everyone. You’ll just have to ask lots of questions and we’ll give you our thoughts and experience.

except for a 2 year stint taking care of a family member, we started full timing at the start of 2000. First on a 30' sail boat, then in pull trailers, motor home, cargo trailer conversion, 12' vintage 60's trailer then in our 26' 1983 fifth. All served the purpose at the time we used them.
I liked the convenience of the Motor home, but hated the fuel numbers.
Small trailers are easier to haul but I found we were spending considerable time Loading up to move.
The cargo we built as a toy hauler to haul the Wing. we had to unload to get some Zzzzs
Two problems with the Fifth. Don't like having to climb up into bed, This is a bad mark for class C motor homes, And I find the 5th is harder to hitch than a pull trailer. That said we are still liking the 5th the best of all.

Latest resources

Back