• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Weight Distribution Hitch

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I have never owned a TT before. We began our RV full time adventures in a 38' fiver and went up from there. Now we have downsized in preparation of going back into a home and are in a 32' TT until the house is ready.

Anyway, 4 weeks ago when I towed back from the dealership I had too much tongue weight. The front end of my Expedition was raised about 3 inches! Didn't handle very well. I purchased the correct size Weight Distribution Hitch (Equalizer) and installed it. I loaded my Harley and everything else before making all the adjustments. My measurements up on all the wheel wells of the Expedition are within 3/8's of an inch of when it is sitting there unhooked! I'm a true believer in these WDHs. Can't wait to get on the road with it.
Now, imaging if you had to brake in an emergency. With the weight off the front wheels, hard braking will tend to put more down force on the trailer hitch. Could have you have no steering at all.

I'm surprised to see this, I would have suspected the NHTSA would mandate a sticker of the actual weighed vehicle to determine payload capacity much like is required with cars & trucks to be road legal. Do all TT manufacturers state these specs without a battery or propane tank?

AFAIK all trailer manufacturers consider batteries and propane to be 'dealer installed accessories', not relevant to the TT specs at all. I've seen some that give the specs for the base model which doesn't exist at all, in many cases you can't even buy one due to 'mandatory options'.

In the end they all externalize the risks to the end buyer.

The weight distribution kit my dealer recommended was over rated for my trailer too. My trailer tongue weight is 490 lbs, and the trailer weight is 3452 lbs dry; however, they sold me a curt true track WDH 17500 that is rated for 800 - 1,000 lbs tongue weight and 8,000-10,000 lbs trailer. I question whether it was too big and they said that is what the recommend for my trailer so I went with it. I have been using it ever since (over two years now) and have not had an issue yet (but that doesn't mean I won't). Just my experience so far... On the other hand I added a larger battery that is mounted near the tongue (adding about 40 lbs to the tongue and the hitch setup itself is about 100 lbs, so I am definitely somewhere around 600 at this point on the tongue, but still far from the 800-1,000 lbs). It works great by the way and I am happy with it thus far.

I have never owned a TT before. We began our RV full time adventures in a 38' fiver and went up from there. Now we have downsized in preparation of going back into a home and are in a 32' TT until the house is ready.

Anyway, 4 weeks ago when I towed back from the dealership I had too much tongue weight. The front end of my Expedition was raised about 3 inches! Didn't handle very well. I purchased the correct size Weight Distribution Hitch (Equalizer) and installed it. I loaded my Harley and everything else before making all the adjustments. My measurements up on all the wheel wells of the Expedition are within 3/8's of an inch of when it is sitting there unhooked! I'm a true believer in these WDHs. Can't wait to get on the road with it.
32' is a lot of trailer for an SUV...

32' is a lot of trailer for an SUV...
I agree. The Expedition I purchased (Timberline trim) came with max tow package. It is rated to drag 9,200, which is still lower than most 1/2 ton pickup trucks. I figured all the number about 100 times and I will be close.

The actual true numbers will be known to me this Thursday when we take off for a couple months of travel. My first stop is a Love's about 7 miles up the road. I'll run across the scale and see where I'm at.

I agree. The Expedition I purchased (Timberline trim) came with max tow package. It is rated to drag 9,200, which is still lower than most 1/2 ton pickup trucks. I figured all the number about 100 times and I will be close.

The actual true numbers will be known to me this Thursday when we take off for a couple months of travel. My first stop is a Love's about 7 miles up the road. I'll run across the scale and see where I'm at.
I suspect you'll run out of payload long before you hit your towing capacity. And 32' is a big sail behind you while towing. Most SUVs are lighter than most pickup trucks so can be pushed around more easily by a trailer.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back