Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

smb985

RVF Regular
Good morning. So this is all new to us. We have a travel trailer that weighs 3300# with a tongue weight of 365#. My WDH is rated at 10k and a tongue weight of I think 800 or so. I have read some discussions on this and wanted others opinions. Am I ok using a Reese 10k hitch without having issues? I read somewhere that as long as the distance is correct for the fender height I should be ok. We have no plans going off road at all. Only highway or roads to parks.

Thanks Joe. I have looked and read things about it. Seems to be half and half or so on not using one too heavy or making sure measurement specs are good. Also not using when going off road. Gotta love the web for info. lol. Thanks again.

What's your tow vehicle?

That hitch might have too high of a rating for your trailer, depending on how much gear you haul in the vehicle and trailer. Even though it's a different brand, you could take a look at the Equal-i-zer website. They have a calculator to help you figure out what hitch rating you need.

What's your tow vehicle?

That hitch might have too high of a rating for your trailer, depending on how much gear you haul in the vehicle and trailer. Even though it's a different brand, you could take a look at the Equal-i-zer website. They have a calculator to help you figure out what hitch rating you need.
Tow vehicle is a Chevy C1500. Tow package. 350 motor and the rear end has the correct ratio. Just don't remember what is is right now. So we had some firewood in the back of the bed. (8 foot bed). Only had a couple of small containers. We do not carry a lot of weight in either one. Used the WDH we have and went to W Virginia on a 6 hour drive with the camper. Did not have a single issue but it was always in the back of my mind on the WDH.

With 365lbs tongue weight you probably dont need a WDH. That would be like two average people in the back seat. Try towing without it and see how it handles and if it sags the rear of the vehicle.

With 365lbs tongue weight you probably dont need a WDH. That would be like two average people in the back seat. Try towing without it and see how it handles and if it sags the rear of the vehicle.
It does sag some. Never measured the distance but in my opinion it's enough to warrant a WDH. Did not drive it enough on the road to see about sway at that point. It sagged more than I expceted.

I think it's more important to measure the front end lift. Measure from the ground to the wheel well (I mark a spot with tape on vehicle and ground). Then hitch up without the WDH, measure the wheel well again. If that's more than an inch or so, you might be unloading the front enough to make it unsafe.

Also, have you weighed the trailer or are you relying on the manufacturer spec? The spec is typically without battery/LPG and often based on a model that doesn't exist (due to mandatory options the manufacture adds, like A/C...).

Your vehicle users manual should state when a WDH is required based on trailer tongue weight. If you have a real weight for that and it's below WDH you are probably fine.

Lastly, I often prefer using a WDH even when not required. It just makes things drive better IMO, IF the load bars are properly sized.

I have never owned a TT before. We began our RV full time adventures in a 38' fiver and went up from there. Now we have downsized in preparation of going back into a home and are in a 32' TT until the house is ready.

Anyway, 4 weeks ago when I towed back from the dealership I had too much tongue weight. The front end of my Expedition was raised about 3 inches! Didn't handle very well. I purchased the correct size Weight Distribution Hitch (Equalizer) and installed it. I loaded my Harley and everything else before making all the adjustments. My measurements up on all the wheel wells of the Expedition are within 3/8's of an inch of when it is sitting there unhooked! I'm a true believer in these WDHs. Can't wait to get on the road with it.

Also, have you weighed the trailer or are you relying on the manufacturer spec? The spec is typically without battery/LPG and often based on a model that doesn't exist (due to mandatory options the manufacture adds, like A/C...).
I'm surprised to see this, I would have suspected the NHTSA would mandate a sticker of the actual weighed vehicle to determine payload capacity much like is required with cars & trucks to be road legal. Do all TT manufacturers state these specs without a battery or propane tank?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back