RV Make
Grand Design
RV Model
Transcend Xplor 221RB
RV Length
26'10
TOW/TOAD
2018 Nissan Titan Pro4X
We are looking at a dual-axle travel trailer in the 24 to 26 ft range. Is a weight distribution hitch necessary?

We are looking at a dual-axle travel trailer in the 24 to 26 ft range. Is a weight distribution hitch necessary?
In my opinion, yes! I wouldn't tow any size travel trailer without one. We used one when we towed a 16' and a 24' trailer years ago. They firm up the connection between the trailer and tow vehicle, and prevent sway and bounce.

TJ

In my opinion, yes! I wouldn't tow any size travel trailer without one. We used one when we towed a 16' and a 24' trailer years ago. They firm up the connection between the trailer and tow vehicle, and prevent sway and bounce.

TJ
Thanks very much. I'm seeing this as the consensus. Prepping for when we decide on which unit.

I just got done researching a bunch of different sway and weight distribution hitches. Everyone has their own opinion on these topics. I was looking for something that eliminated the typical creaking and groaning that most hitches have as a result of the friction used to prevent sway. Most are bars that slide on a stationary bracket/friction point. I also wanted to eliminate the lubrication most bars required that people complained got all over the place when storing the bars. Last but not least, I did not like the bars that used a pipe to cinch up the bars by lifting up. I have problems with my shoulders. Sway was my biggest concern. I looked at ProprIde and Hensley - supposedly the absolute best and to me they were great with sway, but far too complex and a pain to hook and unhook. I also looked hard at the Reese Straight Line but did not like the noises it made and the need to unhook the bars for tight backing turns. I settled on the Blue Ox Sway Pro. The only thing I'm adding to it is a good 24" breaker bar and socket instead of the provided wrench. The key to the Blue Ox is to make sure you jack the tongue up almost as high as you can get it to relieve the amount of chain tension to install or remove the bars. People that follow the rule of relieving the tension find them very easy and safe to use. Set up is everything on any load distribution hitch.

Would not tow without one! They, well most, from my research also are sway control to prevent the tail waggin the dog so to speak. Think of those times you will be possibly riding the open plains where cross winds can be crazy and all those tractor trailers with their wind turbulence that hits your trailer.

Factor another $500 to as much as maybe $1500 depending on which one you decide to get. We had the RV dealer install as I watched the videos on setup and decided I wanted someone to do it that has done it more than none! Lol

Yes I use one. Been through 3 so far. I am now using a harbor freight special. Looks much like my old Reese hitch combined with an older hitch I have no idea who manufactured. At one time I had sway control, don't use it anymore. Sway control is all about proper loading of the trailer. Load equalizing is about proper weight distribution of the tow vehicle. The spring bars force weight to the steering wheels so you don't get under steer. I would go without and do sway control. I will not go without equalizer.

I hate to sound smart-alecky, but it depends on whether you need to distribute weight or not... The torque bars are employed to equalize weight between the rear tires and the front tires. If placing the loaded trailer on the ball lifts the front fender well more than 1/2" (distance measured from top-dead-center of the tire to the fender well), then weight redistribution should be employed to keep traction consistent on the front. Keeping appropriate weight on the front tires helps reduce all manner of bad behavior - from shaking and vibration, uneven tire wear, and hydroplaning at the front end - to similar and worse at the back.

Overall, adjust your ball and hitch to keep the truck and trailer flat and level. This will provide the best acceleration, braking, sway control, and suspension/ tire wear. Last bit of advice - don't take the word of "synthetic experts" on the internet. Ford (as others, I'm sure) has specialized documentation on towing, trailer manufacturers (more so than dealers) can offer information, and you may also check with your insurance company about recommendation they may make.

Latest resources

Back