• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Weight math

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Good lord Kevin, you went straight to the excessive tongue weight. But you have no idea what he is hitching it to. And he won't say. And he does not realize what payload and towing capacity are. I was trying to gently educate once I had enough info. I could care less what his front axle and rear axle are unless I know his wheelbase and ability to carry a load. But in the end the advice is correct, return the trailer or buy something that will tow it.
Greetings. I know the stats. I'm reluctant to say the tow vehicle because this thread wll become something I really don't want it to be.

I found a trailer that was advertised as 3300 lbs. Yeah, really close to the limit. I was hoping the tongue weight would be approx 350 lbs and, while I'm cutting it close, I'm technically okay (maybe a bit over weight). When I took it to the scales, I got some weird numbers, but this was my fault. The weight tag I used for the unhitched weight was an old tag and incorrect. Once I found the correct weight tag - which includes modifications to my tow vehicle - then everything made sense

I attached the OEM stats to this response

Actual trailer weight: 3620 (not 3300) - a little over (3500 is OEM max)
Calculated tongue weight: 620 lbs - way over (350 lbs is OEM max)
Rear Axle weight: 3880 which is 330 lbs over OEM max (ouch)

So, maybe I'll look for a trailer with the axle more in the middle so the tongue weight isn't so out of proportion with the trailer weight. I hear newer single-axle trailers tend to have axles more towards the rear. Not sure I understand why, I suspect it's because Americans drive too fast when towing.

Attachments

• Jeep Stats.jpg
    Jeep Stats.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 6
Greetings. I know the stats. I'm reluctant to say the tow vehicle because this thread wll become something I really don't want it to be.

I found a trailer that was advertised as 3300 lbs. Yeah, really close to the limit. I was hoping the tongue weight would be approx 350 lbs and, while I'm cutting it close, I'm technically okay (maybe a bit over weight). When I took it to the scales, I got some weird numbers, but this was my fault. The weight tag I used for the unhitched weight was an old tag and incorrect. Once I found the correct weight tag - which includes modifications to my tow vehicle - then everything made sense

I attached the OEM stats to this response

Actual trailer weight: 3620 (not 3300) - a little over (3500 is OEM max)
Calculated tongue weight: 620 lbs - way over (350 lbs is OEM max)
Rear Axle weight: 3880 which is 330 lbs over OEM max (ouch)

So, maybe I'll look for a trailer with the axle more in the middle so the tongue weight isn't so out of proportion with the trailer weight. I hear newer single-axle trailers tend to have axles more towards the rear. Not sure I understand why, I suspect it's because Americans drive too fast when towing.
If a manufacturer quotes the (dry) tongue weight of their trailer as 350 lbs, you can bet the real world tongue weight is going to be much heavier than that even before you've loaded up the trailer.

It sounds like you have calculated tongue weight.
Your idea of putting more weight in the back of the trailer would help reduce tongue weight. Typical tongue weight targets given by the experts is 10%-15%.
A weight distribution hitch could also help transfer some of that tongue weight to the front axle, but is not always allowed or recommended by tow vehicle manufacturers. Some tow vehicle manufacturers will provide different tow and tongue limits when using a weight distribution hitch (WDH).

Good lord Kevin, you went straight to the excessive tongue weight. But you have no idea what he is hitching it to. And he won't say. And he does not realize what payload and towing capacity are. I was trying to gently educate once I had enough info. I could care less what his front axle and rear axle are unless I know his wheelbase and ability to carry a load. But in the end the advice is correct, return the trailer or buy something that will tow it.
Yes!!! I get it! Renting is not the same as buying, and in the end the rental company is liable for mismatching!!! Maybe the poster will share his information, he did run across the scales after all!!!

If a manufacturer quotes the (dry) tongue weight of their trailer as 350 lbs, you can bet the real world tongue weight is going to be much heavier than that even before you've loaded up the trailer.
Heaver yes but 300 percent? The trailer has to be towable empty, and clearly that one is not!

What comes to mind is the claim that equalizer systems are the cause of frame failures, clearly in this case the cause would be the build!!!

Heaver yes but 300 percent? The trailer has to be towable empty, and clearly that one is not!

What comes to mind is the claim that equalizer systems are the cause of frame failures, clearly in this case the cause would be the build!!!
I agree there's something off with this trailer. I'm just thinking that OP is unlikely to find a travel trailer with a loaded tongue weight less than 350 lbs and, if he did, I'm not sure I'd want to tow it with any vehicle.

Maybe the OP needs a boat.

Instead of calculating the tongue weight, why not actually measure it? You need only a 4' length (or greater) of 4x4, a bath scale and a brick just barely taller than the bath scale. A simple 5:1 ratio will be well within the limits of the bathscale and give you a number that's pretty darn accurate. I understand not wanting to disclose a 4 cylinder SUV but if it meets specs, don't worry about it. FWIW, if it were my owned tow vehicle, I would do this infrequently, if it's leased, drive it like you stole it (or poured a bunch of money into a vehicle with zero equity at the end). A cooked transmission 15K miles after it's turned in is someone else's problem.

Our tongue weight decreases as we load the trailer. Almost all the storage both inside and outside is behind the rear axle. So are the two 6 volt AGM batteries. But our trailer is a European trailer built under license in the US. Lighter hitch weights are common there.

Our loaded weight with full fresh water is 3385 pounds.

Our loaded hitch weight with fresh water full is 340 pounds. The water affects it a tiny bit but the tank is pretty much over the axle.

2022 T@B400. Tow vehicle is a tesla model Y. Excellent well balanced combo. No need for a weight distribution hitch.

IMG_5730.png

IMG_7064.jpeg

IMG_7060.jpeg

Latest resources

Back