• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Well this actually happened tonight

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Correct. Each breaker, (by itself), has a 50 amp capacity. If the capacity is exceeded, at least one of the breakers will trip. Therein lies the problem.......only one will trip, leaving half of your 220V hookup still live. It SHOULD have a breaker that causes BOTH sides to trip, should either leg exceed the amperage rating.
I suppose the NEC allows for the setup being discussed as a TEMPORARY measure. (Somehow, I suspect this temporary measure has been in service for a lot more than a week.)

Roger
In this case they were bridged, the issue I’m talking about (according to the KOA guy) although they are rated to trip at 50 amps, he said we only really have 25 amps to each side of this setup. Wouldn’t this cause the wires to the pedestal to potentially burn before the breaker trips? Not to mention not supplying enough power to the coach.
I agree that the motorhome does utilized 2 legs of 120, these two legs have a potential demand way over 25 amps each.

In this case they were bridged, the issue I’m talking about (according to the KOA guy) although they are rated to trip at 50 amps, he said we only really have 25 amps to each side of this setup. Wouldn’t this cause the wires to the pedestal to potentially burn before the breaker trips? Not to mention not supplying enough power to the coach.
I agree that the motorhome does utilized 2 legs of 120, these two legs have a potential demand way over 25 amps each.
OK. This took a little "upstream" assuming. IF he has that particular circuit protected with a 2-pole, 25 amp breaker back at the main distribution panel, then yes.....it's a 25 amp circuit. And it's still not right. If that's the case, then the pedestal breaker(s) should also be 25 amp breakers. (BTW, NEC would require a main panel.) As for the question of melting/burning wires, it depends on the wire gauge running out there. If too small for the run length and amp draw, then yes, they'd suffer the heating effects.
Now, these coaches are 50 amp loads, right? IF he does have it protected at the main with 25 amp breaker(s), then he's limiting what you can do in your coach, by limiting current draw.

Roger

OK. This took a little "upstream" assuming. IF he has that particular circuit protected with a 2-pole, 25 amp breaker back at the main distribution panel, then yes.....it's a 25 amp circuit. And it's still not right. If that's the case, then the pedestal breaker(s) should also be 25 amp breakers. (BTW, NEC would require a main panel.) As for the question of melting/burning wires, it depends on the wire gauge running out there. If too small for the run length and amp draw, then yes, they'd suffer the heating effects.
Now, these coaches are 50 amp loads, right? IF he does have it protected at the main with 25 amp breaker(s), then he's limiting what you can do in your coach, by limiting current draw.

Roger
Exactly, the new coach after driving a distance on a hot day I’m drawing 65 amps initially, this drops substantially once the battery pack is charged. One leg has two of the AC’s on it plus more, well over 25 amps

Here is an interesting chart right out of the Newmar’s owners manual
IMG_4466.png

Latest resources

Back