RV Make
Alpinelite
RV Length
26'
TOW/TOAD
2016 Ram 1500
Fulltimer
Yes
After the post that brought up park models, I have not been able to quit thinking about them!
For me it is a history thing, as I have been around campers as far back as I can remember. To start this discussion I will talk a little history.
Who else here remembers "the big trailer " where Lucy and Desi take a trip pulling that big trailer? Well that was a park model! As all trailers of any size were. The resorts of the day, were called trailer parks. They were always on the outskirts of town. The town folk, worrying about property value called those mostly freedom seeking people "trailer trash "

That's a little history, and when we consider HOA rules about the rebranded Homes we see not much has changed.

Why have I dwelled on this subject so?

Sometimes one has to look back to see clearly into the future!
Why I see the advantages of park models will not be so surprising when I am finished.

Most of the people who visit here seldom stay outside of a park, most want hook-ups. But those same people have systems that could be considered better than the grid they insist on connecting to! My question is why? Not only is the failure rate high, it adds measurably to the weight they must haul.
If you don't "camp/boondock " why increase the workload required to dump fill and maintain the systems designed to make camping enjoyable?

Further, without all that unused equipment equipment storage would increase.

In my mind I commend those who have realized the failures of our present thinking.

Are park models manufactured robust enough to endure being dragged all over 1000's of miles of questionable roads without exceedingly the structural failure rate of standard travel trailers? If they are built better and hookup campgrounds are all they'll see then it would certainly make sense to prioritize that at the top of the shopping list. If they aren't built better, based on the current quality of a standard TT then it seems it would be a terrible idea.

It would be easy to build the box to the same standards or better. Without the failure prone equipment reliability would be exceptional when compared.
Remember the fema trailers, they were built like TTs without self containment.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back