Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

lrp3849

RVF Newbee
I would like to go to Crescent City, California and pull a 30 ft. travel trailer with my Tundra pickup from Boise, Idaho by way of Ontario, Oregon to Highway 20, Highway 395, Highway 140, Highway 39, I-5, Highway 199 then Highway 101 to Crescent City. I'm concerned about any really steep mountain passes, where is the best place to get gas. What is the terrain like?

Google shows two other routes, one north that goes through Bend, Oregon (Highway 26/97 time =10 hrs 41) and another one south through Nevada (Highway 95/140 time = 11 hrs 24).

The main one described above is 9 hrs 30 minutes.

Not getting the best gas mileage, need a gas station every 300 miles.

Any suggestions or information would be greatly appreciated.

Basically, the roads will be a bit slow and winding with a few steep grades but nothing horrible. They are nothing that can't be done; just don't expect to make great time. There will be a fair amount of high desert in Eastern Oregon.

I kind of doubt that you will be able to make the time shown on Google Maps. It has been a while since I've been over that route, so some of the roads may have been improved a bit. For me, this would definitely be a two-day trip.

As for gas availability, you shouldn't have a problem. I would drive on the top half of the tank and refuel as close to that point as possible. There are quite a few small towns along the way with gas stations. If you are concerned about fuel availability, carry a couple of 6-gallon cans in the bed to the truck.

TJ

Latest resources

Back