Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Douggarvin

RVF Regular
My ford f53 engine does not start. I've replaced both solenoids, the starter, and the ignition switch. What do I look at next.

Gasoline engines need fuel, air, and spark.
If your starter is spinning it, figure out which of the three are not.

sounds to me like its not turning over since he was focused on the starter. So electrical? More info definitely needed.

It dead when the key is turned nothing. Battery is good. There is nothing. Instrument panel lites up, lights work. What electrical checks ( be specific). Don't have a wiring schematic

It dead when the key is turned nothing. Battery is good. There is nothing. Instrument panel lites up, lights work. What electrical checks ( be specific). Don't have a wiring schematic
First check would be to put trans into neutral and try to start. If that's not the problem double check battery. You can have voltage but no amperage with a bad battery. These are the simplest things to check and go from there.

Check 12 volts at the solenoid ”start” terminal When the key is in the “Start” position.
You can also “jump” the solenoid with a pair of pliers.

The problem here is parts swapping prior to diagnosis. It seems clear there is an electrical problem somewhere, and there are quite a few possibilities as the above posts pointed out, and the old starter and ignition switch were probably still good. Replacing components of a system until you find the problem is not the preferred method of diagnosis.

Latest resources

Back