Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

What is your typical OCCC / CCC for a trip?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

DaveW-NBS

RVF Regular
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Bay Star
RV Length
Fulltimer
No
In the process of ordering our first, new, Class A.

I don't want to re-ignite the many "discussions" on GCWR, GVWR, UVW, etc, but.....

I understand that, IN GENERAL, the amount of people, liquids, and "stuff" you can safely carry is the difference between the GVWR and the "end-of-assembly-line weight-plus-installed-options" - my question is what are average numbers that people see when they weigh their fully-loaded/ready-for-a-trip MH minus their UVW number. In other words, what's the weight of typical people and their "stuff" for a typical vacation.

Looking for examples of two adults for one week and two weeks, and family of four for one week and two weeks.

I'm confused because I've seen OCCC numbers across many posts range from1200-1500 lbs to 3000-3200 lbs.

Thanks!

Our CanyonStar runs right at Max GCWR, 30K, packing efficiently for two adults for an extended trip. If we are going to a destination for an extended period typically we will only purchase enough consumables (food) for a few days and Shop when we are close.

Most basement cabinets are very lightly loaded. Most heavy items like tools are loaded into the Toad trunk. The Toad is a light sedan loaded on a Dolly. Typically car and dolly weights 3880lbs.
The rear axle limit, 17.5k, on my particular RV, when loaded, is always at max. We have Residential fridge, Washer Dryer, Microwave. 10 Gallon Attwood water heater and tanks all centered around the rear axle. I shift load around as needed.

My mistake when ordering the RV was to over option the unit. Satellite dish based on my experience is a waste, installed WiFi little value, outside TV never use it, and the list goes on. All of these items eat into useful load and will eventually find there way to a storage facility.

You will note finding accurate weight data for any RV is tough. You need to get the build sheet and understand it to get an idea. Best is to run the RV over a scale. Newmar usually will weight their RVs before they leave the Factory and supply that data.

We did factory pickup. Loaded the RV and weighted it on the Newmar scale before we left.

You can expect to eat up 700-1000lbs of fluids and stuff fairly easily, at least this has been my experience. 80 gallons of fuel, fresh water (I run about 50% until close if boondocking), waste tanks until next stop. All this adds load. The Cat Scale is very useful to gauge what can be loaded.

My$0.02

I appreciate the response – I understand there is no “one answer” – just looking for some relevant examples.

We too will be doing a factory pickup, so we’ll get an exact UVW number, then load some “stuff” and ourselves in it and get a better “let’s go camping” baseline before we leave the factory. Once we get home I’ll have (many) more trips to local scales to get all of the axle info

Our unit, per the brochure, has a 3200 lb GVWR-to-UVW number – we went light on the options (as you suggested, we went with no satellite and no internet - we’ll stream by way of hotspot), but I’m still assuming a 500 lb options/extras add out the door. So I’m HOPING for 2100-to-2400 lbs to play with for people, liquids and stuff. I was just wondering whether that was a realistic goal.

Thanks again for the response….

Our coach, fully loaded, weighs 3K more than it did when it came off the assembly line. That's two adults, full fuel (100 gallons) and full water (100) gallons.

Here is an interesting exercise.

80 gallons of fuel;
Gasoline weighs 6lb / gal 480lbs or diesel 7lbs/gallon is 560lbs.
75 gallons of Water
8.5lbs gallon. 75 gallons full 637lbs.
Residual in waste tanks and hot water heater tank say 100lbs.

approx 1,297lbs used. Before any Doodads, staples, sewer hoses, water hoses, filters, people etc.

Useful load starts to shrink fast.

There are only two of us but we probably carry a little more than most folks. I have a pretty good variety of tools plus we haul around a lot of cold weather leather motorcycle gear. In almost all of our RVs over the past 10 years we end up with between 2,800 and 3,200 pounds of "stuff".

For us, Tools and office equipment can be a big part of the weight. Since our Tow is a base model and relatively light, most of the tools are carried in the Tow.
I have more tools then are probably needed. It is part of my OCD thing with "Be Prepared" :)

I gaurentee you we have at least 3000 pounds of stuff in our Class A.

Full timing and our loaded rig weighs just under 45K lbs with the both of us on board and fairly full fuel and water tanks. GVWR is 51K lbs so plenty of weight space available.

Latest resources

Back