Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

FYI What should you expect annually with Class A maintenance?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Joe Hogan

RVF Supporter
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Dutch Star 4311
RV Length
Chassis
Spartan
Engine
Cummins
TOW/TOAD
2018 Ford Flex
Fulltimer
No
It fair to say that I've been accused of over maintaining equipment. Yes, that is true to a certain extent. However, over 5 decades of driving/travel I've not had serious mechanical issues on the road.
My hesitancy in purchasing a Diesel Pusher is that much of this Service work will need to be completed by a competent Shop. The gasser we owned I completed much of the annual service and service in general DIY. It is nice to KNOW what was done when and see potential issues with your own eyes.
The DSDP is a whole new ball game for me. Conceptually I think I get it. BUT What work needs to be done annually? What is the expected cost of the annual service of a Class A diesel?
Here is a video covering many of my questions. Typically we use the Newmar Service center for annual service. We'll see how well they accomplish the Chassis work next year when we bring in the DSDP for annual service and first year warranty work. It may turn out we need Spartan to do the chassis work annually.

Enjoy,

I do a lot of the routine stuff myself -oil changes, fuel filters, air filter, transmission service, power steering fluid and filter, minor brake maint, generator and oasis service, etc, but I leave some of it for my local Freightliner shop. Some because they are better set up for it, and some because I just don’t feel like doing it.

I have my chassis lube done because I don’t want to crawl around under the thing looking for all the zerks. Also had my front hub oil changed, differential oil changed, air dryer changed, and my serpentine belt replaced. Pretty much comes down to how much effort/trouble the job will be and whether or not I agree with the price for the service.

As far as Newmar goes, I had them do a bunch of chassis maint last time I was there and I was very satisfied with the work and price. I wouldn’t hesitate to have them do whatever you don’t want to do or are not set up for.

There is nothing unique about a Spartan chassis maintenance wise other than that nifty service bay which makes things easier. As for annual maintenance cost, I try not to think about it, but if you break it up between you and a shop, its not too bad.

That’s a tough question to answer. Do you plan to do it yourself or have a shop do it. Obviously big savings if you do some yourself. Most shops are 200+ an hour so it gets expensive real fast. I can only speak for Freightliner and Prevost and both have recommended maintenance plans they suggest to follow. If you follow the plan (totally optional ) you can expect at least $1,000 or more annually if that’s the only thing being worked on. Usually there’s other stuff. I have seen annual maintenance as high as $5000 depending. When you get to a year where you need new tires (a long way off for you ) then you will see cost of 5000-10,000 added to your annual expense.

A lot of folks on the forum really like going to gaffney for Freightliner service and schedule their annual services well in advance. I am
sure they have better details than I do and costs.

I do what I can myself... Slide motor bolts, need to re-dicor the roof (job this week), oasis pump replacement, oasis service, just replaced a pantry door lock today, generator service, wash and waxing, house batteries replacement this summer etc.
Can't grease and do the chassis (we full time) and that's more like $1400/yr for me...
Needed hydraulic pump and slide motor replacement this summer so that adds to the cost above.
Since it varies, I have no idea what the average cost/yr is.....

Latest resources

Back