Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Hatya

RVF Newbee
The wife and I are actively looking for a motorhome, new/used and while I would have no issues driving a 30’ or larger unit,I started wondering if there will be enough attractions of interest close to a camp ground to keep us interested. On some trips we would tow our boat but on other trips we would like to see some cool places and attractions likely outside of a campground. She really wants to do the worlds longest garage sale. Honestly we would be new to the campground scene. We like outdoors, but are not really hikers. We like to see old towns and go to the antique stores. Live music and anything involving water.

Will a 30’ unit be so long that we will need to have a tow vehicle to go places? If so we may consider a shorter unit but one must have is a usable main bedroom with the slide in. (No corner bed allowed) .

We live in NW Indiana and most traveling would be going south from late fall to spring.

I used to live near the route the longest yard sale (US127) took thru Dunlap TN. I strongly suggest you make campground reservations very early in pretty much any state you plan on doing. I know in TN, the nearby campgrounds are packed, as well as the towns.

Based on what I have witnessed in Dunlap, and down into Alabama, you will want to be pulling a car. Park your RV and drive the car to squeeze into the packed parking lots and onto the sides of the roads for the opportunistic yard sales along the route.

I actually enjoyed the Peaches to the Beaches sale more. With the popularity of the 127 yard sale, other smaller long distance yard sales have been started. We actually stumbled onto the Peaches to the Beaches yard sale by accident in Perry, GA and ran it for a ways. I got some wonderful buys (RV related stuff) from an official(?) roadside vendor. But not so much from the official vendor sites where they are grouped up together in a huge clump.

I guess it's all in what you are looking for. My husband used to buy from yard sales to resell at a parking lot antiques flea market. So if we couldn't sell a thing for 3X what we paid for it, it wasn't something we would buy unless it was for personal use. The big sponsored yard sales are usually by people who know exactly what they have and how much they can sell it for on eBay (which is where a lot of the "good" stuff ends up). They "might" be country, but they ain't stupid. They will come out on top of any deal.

Bring plenty of CASH as the roadside vendors are mostly cash. The "official sites" will have some vendors that take "plastic".

To find other events similar to the "World's Longest Yard Sale", go to a search engine (Google, Startpage, etc) and type in: Long Yard Sales, "STATE" with "STATE" being whatever state you are interested in. This should turn up a few, as the long yard sales have become a popular way of pulling tourists to a specific area at a specific time.

We tow a box trailer with motorcycles. I’d rather leave the MH set up in camp and do my sightseeing with some other type of vehicle to avoid setting up every day.

A coach with enough 'oomph' to pull double decker trailer so you can haul a car and a boat might be what you need.
sold, but ya get the idea:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back