RV Model
Ventana LE 4037
RV Length
40' 11"
TOW/TOAD
2021 Chevy Trailblazer
Fulltimer
No
On a Newmar build (and likely others) under the subfloor is insulation and below the insulation is a really tough plastic fabric that for now, I’m going to call a vapor barrier. I suspect it is to prevent vapor and condensation from outside being trapped in the insulation.

in the case of a water leak from a fixture (fresh water from a toilet in this case) the water will flow through the nearest hole and soak the insulation from above and never escape, until it finds a hole in the barrier, then soak whatever is below it, in the basement.

This is not a hypothetical situation. I’ve had to open a large slit in the vapor barrier to drain the water collected there and to allow blotting and air drying the insulation. Once dry, I’ll need to close that big hole.

Questions:
1. What is the name of that plastic sheet I am calling a vapor barrier?
2. Is there a specific repair material (thinking tape) for mending this hole in the fabric?

On a Newmar build (and likely others) under the subfloor is insulation and below the insulation is a really tough plastic fabric that for now, I’m going to call a vapor barrier. I suspect it is to prevent vapor and condensation from outside being trapped in the insulation.

in the case of a water leak from a fixture (fresh water from a toilet in this case) the water will flow through the nearest hole and soak the insulation from above and never escape, until it finds a hole in the barrier, then soak whatever is below it, in the basement.

This is not a hypothetical situation. I’ve had to open a large slit in the vapor barrier to drain the water collected there and to allow blotting and air drying the insulation. Once dry, I’ll need to close that big hole.

Questions:
1. What is the name of that plastic sheet I am calling a vapor barrier?
2. Is there a specific repair material (thinking tape) for mending this hole in the fabric?
Maybe Tyvek tape.

Newmar is calling it a moisture barrier. A vapor barrier is typically on the "warm in winter" side to keep moisture from living activities from getting into the insulation and condensing

1612142946666.png

Has anyone used FlexMend? It seems to be the right stuff.

Latest resources

Back