• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

cadegroat

RVF Newbee
Hi ~

I'm a new trailer owner as of a couple weeks ago. My husband and I went on our 2nd trip this last weekend. When we went to hook the trailer to the truck to leave, 2 of the 3 bolts that hold the tongue jack to the front v of the hookup, busted out (this is a brand-new 2022 Coachmen - Clipper). They were completely rusted and split in two. We don't live but 15 minutes from where we camped and made it home okay. I feel like this is a major safety issue and something really bad could have happened. Am I over reacting? Do bolts rust out often? My husband spent $3 for new, non-rusting bolts with washers and nuts. So, it doesn't seem like it should be a normal thing. I sent a message to the manufacturer and the sales rep and service department where we purchased it. I'm just not sure what the normal protocol here is. I'd be grateful for any suggestions/recommendations.

I would say that you are experiencing the new norm - manufacturers scrimping to save a penny. They must have used steel fasteners instead of galvanized or stainless. In your case they saved a couple bucks. I would double check the axle fasteners and anything that is exposed to the outside.

I would say that you are experiencing the new norm - manufacturers scrimping to save a penny. They must have used steel fasteners instead of galvanized or stainless. In your case they saved a couple bucks. I would double check the axle fasteners and anything that is exposed to the outside.
I agree - this is possibly the tip of the iceberg. You found the easily visible cheap hardware - now its time to inspect the rest of the chassis for other instances. This could prevent really serious issues “down the road”. Literally. Its new, so under warranty, but unless or until something breaks, the dealer will probably do nothing for you. And of course, its most likely to break far from home or any service center.

Thank you both for responding. It's quite unfortunate for them to skimp on such a small cost. I get doing interior cost cuts where it's not going to affect you going down the road. But exterior ones like this, the negative impacts could be catastrophic. I hope y'all have a safe and happy 4th of July!!

Latest resources

Back