Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

What's your Onan Generator coolant level?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Neal

Staff member
RVF Administrator
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana 4037
RV Length
40' 10"
Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
I ask this question to make you go look! At the balloon fiesta this past October quite a few of us including ME were low on coolant. It's one I overlooked and I didn't have the "stuff" to put in to top it off. Thankfully Cummins had a booth and they were topping off coolant as a courtesy. Don't forget to check your GEN coolant level. You can check it in the white plastic on the front (at least on mine) to make sure it's between the cold and hot marks.

Good tip, @Neal. As soon as the current monsoon lets up, I'll go out and check mine.

TJ

I need a new shed to store coolant...

purple fully formulated for the coach
yellow century heat transfer for the Oasis
Red OAT for the Jeep
Pink NOAT for the Toyotas
and what’s this stuff...looks like another fully formulated like the purple but uses DCA4 instead of DCA2 supplemental coolant additive. Molybdenum? Yeah, gotta have some Molybdenum in your coolant. Geesh.... I’m getting a coolant headache.

Just dropped off three gallons of green Preston at the recycling center...nothing I own uses good old green stuff anymore.

Last edited:
I need a new shed to store coolant...

Just dropped off three gallons of green Preston at the recycling center...nothing I own uses good old green stuff anymore.
I know, right? What happened along the way? :)

Side note, keep spare O ring for the fill caps, on the other coach at two years both the oil and coolant rings cracked (dry rot) when I was checking them.

Depending on your main engine, this stuff mentioned above could also be used in it, so you can get buy carrying one. NOTE: if using the 360HP Cummings engine, the coolant for that one is DIFFERENT than for the other bigger engines. Freightliner in Phoenix area had the correct one for 12 dollars a gallon. Once I got the air bubble out of the engine, I have not had to add any coolant at all. The genset on the other hand I check about every two weeks depending on use.

Do you remember what color it is? Mine is green. I just ordered a gallon so I hope its green. RV Services said stick with the same color.

I don't remember the color but I thought yours was blue when we checked it. I only remember half the things half the time so who knows... ?

Latest resources

Back