Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
Ever thought it may be too hot to travel? Is it bad for your engine, tires, what if you break down? Connecting and disconnecting toads/trailers in severe heat? Do you have any criteria for severe hot weather ops?

Ever thought it may be too hot to travel? Is it bad for your engine, tires, what if you break down? Connecting and disconnecting toads/trailers in severe heat? Do you have any criteria for severe hot weather ops?
Well living in AZ where we see 120 in August, pretty much everywhere else is cooler. It’s all relitive 😎

Yup, head to the coast or north in the summer. We’re going to the N Cal coast in July then Im making an adventure out of going to Coburg Or for a windshield in the coach, then out to the Oregon coast. Should be able to beat the heat just fine. I’ve traveled throughout the South during the summer many times, and for the reasons you mentioned and a few more, I’m considering that one checked off the list.

We have left the oppressive Texas heat by late June for the past 16 years, always going to the mountains. This year we had planned to leave July 1 for the mountains in NM slowly making our way to Pueblo for the Newmar International Rally and not returning until after the Balloon Festival in mid-October.

Health issues have reared its ugly head. I'm scheduled for a heart cath on Monday and we'll see after that what our travel plans will be.

Getting old isn't for sissies.

To answer your question, Neal, it never gets too hot to travel it only gets too hot to stay home.

We have left the oppressive Texas heat by late June for the past 16 years, always going to the mountains. This year we had planned to leave July 1 for the mountains in NM slowly making our way to Pueblo for the Newmar International Rally and not returning until after the Balloon Festival in mid-October.

Health issues have reared its ugly head. I'm scheduled for a heart cath on Monday and we'll see after that what our travel plans will be.

To answer your question, Neal, it never gets too hot to travel it only gets too hot to stay home.
Sorry to hear of your challenges, best of luck and a speedy recovery

Never altered travel based on heat. I have noticed in FL, a number of people with coolers in their vehicles with water on ice. Some have beer, but that doesn’t seem healthy. I would dread a breakdown at 95 degrees - actually at any temperature.

Not sure about engine or tires, but I would suspect extreme heat is extra stress on both.

Hope all goes well Monday and you can make your trip.

Good luck on the heart cath.

Hope all goes well @Texas Clodhopper.

As to the heat, yeah, never stopped me either but as my travel has been delays I'm now looking at mid to late July for departure and I'm dreading the heat and humidity in Virginia. Still not sure where I'm going but somewhere where it's cooler for sure. I remember in the past years crazy hot weather, brown outs or complete power outs in some campgrounds, Niagara Falls KOA I think it was where my section went completely out due to extreme heat. I lived in Tucson so I'm familiar with 3 months of the year simply not going outside, I still loved it there though. But we all need to keep the heat in mind when connecting/disconnecting, setting up, etc. and go slow, keep hydrated, etc. A reminder to myself. And run the A/C's with GEN as needed, keep the house cool as it takes too long to catch up once at the CG.

Not to be the endless nerd, but here is some thoughts on summer travel. Clearly heat will stress both people and equipment.

Latest resources

Back