Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
I read online someone asking about the cupping (odd wear pattern) on the tag axle tires as I had and I've seen others have. I don't know the reason and people offer opinions of: scrubbing during reverse from the tire not raised off the ground, out of balance or round, and the newest opinion I've seen is rear shocks need to be replaced.

I don't know that we would ever know when to replace rear shocks by feel based on how these rolling earthquakes drive. So I wonder if based on time they should be replaced for good practice? I may have mine replaced at the next chassis service the end of this year. It's an interesting idea, only counter to that is why aren't the drive axle tires cupping if that's the case?

It could be shocks worn suspension parts, or alignment. Checking balance, roundness, alignment would be the first 3 things I would try. If the tires have life in them, get them trued first before balancing. A note; you can have a bent rim causing the out of roundness. That’s happened to me . Instead of buying an expensive rim, trueing the tire back to round did the trick. Rims can be bent on tire machines if not done properly.

I recent saw a good method for checking your shocks. After driving for a while (at least an hour or so) get out your temp gun and check the temp on all the shocks. If you see one that is noticeably colder than the rest, it hasn’t been working as hard and is probably done. I still haven’t tried this but will if I think about it towards the end of the month when I’ll be back on the road headed home for a bit. Of course if all the shocks were equally wearing this wouldn't tell you much, but its easy to do and worth a try.

Latest resources

Back