Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Where exactly does Eq hitch popping sound come from?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Murbot

RVF Newbee
I'm curious which parts are causing the popping sound when moving slowly with an Equalizer hitch. I get that we want tension at certain points and the noise more less confirms things are working, but if it's popping then it seems like it's building too much tension, then suddenly releasing it which would cause too little tension for a moment until it builds again. Clearly, I lack a full understanding of hitch mechanics.

The popping noise occurs mostly when moving slowly like pulling into a campground. But where from?
1) I've read that the spring arms make this popping noise as they 'slide' past the L brackets and rub on the support. This sounds like tension builds, the bars sort of bind or bend slightly until it has to pop loose and then actually slide a bit. The sway bracket jacket should address this to some degree. I just bought the jackets and will test them in a month or so after the snow clears. Have not used the jackets yet.
2) I've also read the head sockets make noise as they turn (with bars installed) and the pop could come from above or below the head sockets if not properly greased.

Squeaking noises don't concern me much. It's only the pop I'm curious about.

We bought the trailer last month. Zero problems towing home with the Eq. My Eq hitch belonged to my brother so I'm familiar with the popping noise that announced his arrival from a couple blocks away. After towing the trailer home, I purchased the sway bracket jackets and will grease the head socket friction points and the ball. Will not grease the space by the L brackets where the sway bracket jackets will be installed. I don't think he ever greased above\below the head sockets or the ball itself. He won't admit it so who knows.

Thanks !!

My setup:
2018 Grand Design 2800BH About 6k-lbs dry.
10k lbs Equalizer hitch
2017 Ford F350 6.2 Gas

You are likely listening to what is called stiction. All surfaces stick together and when moved jump a little. Even when we lube the surfaces enough pressure on the joint creates an immovable moment. No matter what you do to fix this it will never go away, only be reduced. lube the arms and ball and go about your pleasure. That said do make sure that all bolts are tight and you are not getting a moving hitch system because some bolts were not torqued properly.

I would think that some grease on the head of the bars would stop just about all the noise.

Murbot,
Greasing the bars deceives their purpose!
The bars serve 2- purposes. They distribute the weight of your camper AND provide sway control. By greasing the arms, your eliminating sway control. The best solution is to remove the bars, once you enter the campground. This will also make it easier to maneuver, to your spot. Most campgrounds have tight corners and slight inclines that put extreme amount of stress to your hitch. Backing into your campsite will also be much easier.

Everything I have read the noises, well, are normal. Just learn to live with it. I know it defies logic but it is a part of a WDH setup.

Everything I have read the noises, well, are normal. Just learn to live with it. I know it defies logic but it is a part of a WDH setup.
The same with my Husky Centerline Hitch. My dealer told me to turn up the radio. Joking aside, the Husky is the best one I've had yet. Very little sway, even when boxed in with two semis' on the interstate.

The same with my Husky Centerline Hitch. My dealer told me to turn up the radio. Joking aside, the Husky is the best one I've had yet. Very little sway, even when boxed in with two semis' on the interstate.

Not sure if you have the Owners Manual but it contains some good information. Equal-i-zer® Hitch | The Original Sway Control Hitch

"Noise:

Noise is a normal occurrence when towing a trailer and using any weight distribution or sway control hitch.

The majority of hitch noise can be eliminated by lubricating the friction surfaces of the head as shown in Step 10 - Regular Maintenance, Figure 25.

In some cases, the friction on the L-brackets can generate noise. Lubricating this joint is not recommended. Try adjusting the preload angle of the head and L-bracket height so that the arms sit flat on the L-brackets. If you have lubricated and adjusted the hitch, but are still experiencing noise, try a set of official Equal-i-zer brand Sway Bracket Jackets™. They quiet the ride and reduce wear."

Latest resources

Back