• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Where to start?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Having both travel trailers and 5th wheels for me the 5th wheel is easier to maneuver and get into places. For caring a boat or canoe you could go with a boat rack for your truck.
just wanted to add something to the mix. :)
If you're made of money, you can even get a boat rack that lowers down to the side of the truck so you don't have to lift your kayak to the roof.

There is also a large show in Tampa in January. Another chance to kick tires on multiple manufactures at once.
Market seems to be cooling off, might be high quality gently camped units available that meet your needs.
My experiences with Camping World have not been positive. Your mileage may vary, but your instincts seem good.
There are many solo campers out there, find a blog or forum focused in that area. I'm sure you will get a ton of info about what works and what didn't.
Your needs are specific to you. I see tons of reviews on things that are negative around aspects I don't care about. Put your filters in place and see if there are benefits you need available in the products you want to use or purchase.
You seem self aware. Write down your lists of have to have, nice to have, don't care to have and know what is important to you. Always try to compare apples to apples.

Best of luck, see you around the campfire.
j

Interesting. First time I've seen a kayak rack like that. Definitely something to consider.

I spent a little time on a lot this weekend looking at a few units and each had things I liked and didn't. I think you guys are right about going to a big show where I can spend as much time in different units to see how they feel vs a quick walkthrough. I'm getting closer to narrowing down what is right for me but still feel like there's something missing that I'll feel and know when I see it.

JD, make sure you are in touch with how you will really use the unit. What type of campgrounds you enjoy, what are their limitations. Do you want/need to boondock? How much stuff will you carry. So many variations on the theme that no one size fits all.
When we started we thought we would be doing state parks close to home, with kids and grandkids frequent visitors. Our first coach was built for that. Turns out we started going a different direction and chose our second coach for that. Now we feel like we headed down the rabbit hole and are trying to determine path forward.

Very easy to be blinded by the lights, and head off trail.

Good luck.

JD, make sure you are in touch with how you will really use the unit. What type of campgrounds you enjoy, what are their limitations. Do you want/need to boondock? How much stuff will you carry. So many variations on the theme that no one size fits all.
When we started we thought we would be doing state parks close to home, with kids and grandkids frequent visitors. Our first coach was built for that. Turns out we started going a different direction and chose our second coach for that. Now we feel like we headed down the rabbit hole and are trying to determine path forward.

Very easy to be blinded by the lights, and head off trail.

Good luck.
Thanks! I've been doing research on campgrounds in different parts of the country because I'm really only used to the ACOE parks around the lakes that I fish. I'm starting to see that there is a pretty wide range out there once you get out of this region and I need to be prepared for as many options as possible. I'm trying to figure out what gives me the bulk of what I'm looking for but also has flexibility to do some things that aren't really on my radar right now but might be once I get out there. I really wasn't planning to do much boondocking, but when I started looking into traveling out west, I'm thinking I definitely will be.

I've decided to go on the road full-time for a year in early 2023.....CUT..... I plan to make my moves to avoid extreme weather, but I'd like to have the option to stay in a cold weather climate if I choose later. I want quality and durability to handle the beating of a year on the road vs just the cheapest option. But I'm also low maintenance and dont need super high end stuff. I like that "best quality for the price" range. .....CUT.....

So, since this is a total build from the ground up. Where do I start?

Truck: I currently have an F150 but I can't see any way where I DON'T at least go up to a 3/4 ton, but I'm listening on full ton and dually advice.
Fifth wheel vs Travel Trailer: I'd like to keep my bed open for a small boat or fishing kayaks so I'm leaning heavy toward travel trailer, but not closed to fifth wheel.
Ultralights vs heavier models for holding up full-time use for a year?
Best manufacturers for durability as well as holding up to multiple climates?
Brand new or gently used(1-2 years old)?
Small dealers vs chain dealers? I like the idea of nationwide service if something goes wrong, but my gut feeling after my Camping World visit is that I wouldn't like that experience

What else should I be considering? What are some things I should be on the lookout for? Thanks in advance for any advice you can spare.

Welcome. As you keep reviewing makes/models/floorplans there are several things you should decide first. How much living space will you actually require? Are you willing to visit laundry facilities to do your clothes washing or do you want a washer/dryer on board? Do you want available space for an overnight visitor? Do you have any hobbies that require extra space? Some folks are comfortable full time traveling in a 26' travel trailer and some find a 44' fiver is still too small.

The advantages and disadvantages when comparing travel trailers to 5th wheels are many. The biggest one is probably that a fiver will pull better in windy conditions. The same advantages and disadvantages comparison holds true when deciding on a tow vehicle (truck). No doubt you will be wanting at least a 3/4 ton if not a 1-ton. The first thing that must be decided is gas or diesel. If you end up with a 34' or longer RV and have a gas truck pulling it then I promise you there will be issues getting into gas stations. If you pay more and have diesel then you can always fuel where commercial rigs fuel. Also, if you get into a 1-ton you will have to determine what range of tongue weight your new RV has (loaded) and decided if you need SRW (single rear wheel) or DRW (dually).

As far as quality of the RV and buying from a large dealer or small dealer, all that really won't matter when you are 2,000 miles away from your original dealer and need a repair. We have owned a MSRP $355,000 new diesel pusher and a used $28,000 fiver. It was an issue getting work done on both when we were away from the original place of purchase. The best thing I have done is learn to fix most RV related issues myself over the past 11 years of full timing.

New or used? You could have initial issues with both. No matter which way you go I would start your full time adventure camped within 20 to 40 miles of the selling dealer for about a month. Just a side note, a buddy of mine who transports RVs out of northern Indiana, found out last week that most of the manufacturers up there are starting to shut down for 2 weeks at a time every month. He said new sales have slumped and dealers aren't taking new rigs. You might find low inventory of new rigs to pick from after the first of the year.

Good luck!

Welcome. As you keep reviewing makes/models/floorplans there are several things you should decide first. How much living space will you actually require? Are you willing to visit laundry facilities to do your clothes washing or do you want a washer/dryer on board? Do you want available space for an overnight visitor? Do you have any hobbies that require extra space? Some folks are comfortable full time traveling in a 26' travel trailer and some find a 44' fiver is still too small.

The advantages and disadvantages when comparing travel trailers to 5th wheels are many. The biggest one is probably that a fiver will pull better in windy conditions. The same advantages and disadvantages comparison holds true when deciding on a tow vehicle (truck). No doubt you will be wanting at least a 3/4 ton if not a 1-ton. The first thing that must be decided is gas or diesel. If you end up with a 34' or longer RV and have a gas truck pulling it then I promise you there will be issues getting into gas stations. If you pay more and have diesel then you can always fuel where commercial rigs fuel. Also, if you get into a 1-ton you will have to determine what range of tongue weight your new RV has (loaded) and decided if you need SRW (single rear wheel) or DRW (dually).

As far as quality of the RV and buying from a large dealer or small dealer, all that really won't matter when you are 2,000 miles away from your original dealer and need a repair. We have owned a MSRP $355,000 new diesel pusher and a used $28,000 fiver. It was an issue getting work done on both when we were away from the original place of purchase. The best thing I have done is learn to fix most RV related issues myself over the past 11 years of full timing.

New or used? You could have initial issues with both. No matter which way you go I would start your full time adventure camped within 20 to 40 miles of the selling dealer for about a month. Just a side note, a buddy of mine who transports RVs out of northern Indiana, found out last week that most of the manufacturers up there are starting to shut down for 2 weeks at a time every month. He said new sales have slumped and dealers aren't taking new rigs. You might find low inventory of new rigs to pick from after the first of the year.

Good luck!
If you're going to buy a 3/4 ton, may as well spend the $2k extra to step up to a 1 ton, in my opinion.

JD, welcome to the forum! You have come to a great place to get meaningful advice, and it looks like you're getting plenty of it. As you have already learned, many dealership salespeople will tell you whatever you want to hear in order to earn a commission...good for them, bad for you. I strongly believe that you will benefit a lot by attending one of the big RV shows. So, my advice to you is to keep doing your research and keep asking questions on forums like this one. Eventually, you will make your decisions and hit the road...then you'll start the whole process over again!
All the best with your plan!

Thanks for the feedback, guys! I'm glad I started this 6 months in advance because the more I research, the more difficult the decision making gets! A week ago I was 100% convinced to upgrade the truck and go the 5th wheel route. Then I came across a few things that made me pump the brakes a bit. Having never done this before, it is entirely possible(but doubtful) that I get a month or 2 into this trip and absolutely hate it. I stumbled across a 2019 travel trailer with a floorplan I hadn't seen before that is within the specs for my current truck. I checked it out and the space is definitely something I could function in. Would it be as great as the 5th wheel? No. But I can get into it for 25K vs the 80K investment for the truck upgrade and 5th wheel, and I believe that it has everything that I NEED vs the stuff that I WANT.

I know its apples and oranges, but I've owned a lot of boats through the years and I think about how I stepped up in size and power incrementally over time. I needed those early boats to learn the things that made the bigger boats easier to handle. And some of my best memories oddly revolve around learning hard lessons on those early boats and I'm glad that I had each step along the way. I may need to start smaller and work up. Tough, tough decisions.

You are wise beyond your years Grasshopper.

No perfect answer, only the answer that works best for you.
I usually tell people to rent an RV a few times before jumping in. Validate your path a bit before trying to find the perfect RV, if there is such an animal.
If you do your research, and don't over pay for the rig you are looking at, you could trade in later for a mo better rig.
Enjoy, see ya round the campfire.
j

Latest resources

Back