• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Where were you with your NEWMAR today?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
So how did you like Custer's Gulch? Plenty of room? WiFi present? We're planning a trip to the area this fall and need RV park recommendations. After spending nearly a month in the area, were there other parks you'd recommend? Appreciate your thoughts.
We were at Custer’s Gulch for twelve nights. Including time spent at Elkhorn Ridge, a little more than three weeks total in the Black Hills.

There are three sections to Custer’s Gulch. Upper, Middle, and Lower. The lower section is new, just opened this summer, and the spacing is slightly tighter. We were in the middle section, and I thought the spacing was generous.

The CG itself is beautiful. The sites have lush green grass and everywhere you look, the scenery is striking. It is about ten minutes from the town of Custer, and next door to Custer State Park. Within the state park, “must dos” are the Needles Scenic Highway and the wildlife loop.

Wifi can be an issue. When the CG’s wifi is working, it’s pretty good, but the “working” part can be a challenge. I have both a Verizon and an AT&T hotspot, and found them nearly useless during the day. Early morning and evenings were better.

I didn’t visit other CGs in the area, so I cannot comment on them.

Last edited:
Well today we are sitting in a typical hotel room on the Michigan/Indiana border near Shipshewana where Im getting a new air conditioner tomorrow. National RV refrigeration said they were booked basically forever but if I could get there at 5am they would do the job. So I planned and made the reservation and here I am. Early morning tomorrow but thats ok. This is way out of the norm for us but this way I can just run the coach over for the job in the morning and the DW and dogs can sleep in. I should be back in time for breakfast.

Edit: $80 hotel rooms now cost $160. Just like everything else I guess….At least they have a couple deep parking spots.

Attachments

• AC5C910A-19CF-4297-8432-FBF20AB5F0EF.jpeg
    AC5C910A-19CF-4297-8432-FBF20AB5F0EF.jpeg
    773.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 6B5B7316-A00D-4BF9-B299-B6CC954FA23E.jpeg
    6B5B7316-A00D-4BF9-B299-B6CC954FA23E.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 12
Cliffside County Park, Racine, WI - google map

Great park, spacious sites, water/electric - dump station easy access. Hot and windy. Nice trails Elli and I will be exploring later.

Verizon is the winner here
AT&T good
OTA - 6 channels
Cable - N/A
SAT - stowed
Starlink - too many trees, didn't try

I came here from Elkhart via I-90/94. I could see Chicago in the distance and thought "wow, that looks so cool, I'd love to go there someday." Later realized I was driving right through it. I NEVER WANT TO COME HERE SOMEDAY!!! Approx 3 PM and traffic was hell. Low overpasses (13'8) - you luxury liners enjoy your spaciousness, ducking in the driver's seat is mandatory.

IMG_4069.png

Haven't been here much because of the mostly out of the way places with spotty service, but we stayed in Newville PA at Dogwood Acres, one of our favorite parks, to visit with inlaws for 9 days,

Resized_20220712_204911.jpeg

then on to a surprisingly nice KOA at Buckeye Lake, Ohio for 3 nights. Great Verizon signal, nice little Brewery with good food just down the road. First time there.
20220713_184545.jpg

Currently staying at Follow the River in Florence, Indiana for a month. Lots of road work makes it hard to get around, but we've been here several times and know a few shortcuts. Good Verizon signal, no cable, decent OTA with nice shaded level site. Yummy Goetta and egg sandwiches at Deatons Market in Warsaw KY just over the river.
20220716_142254.jpg

20220719_084948.jpg

Spent a couple of days on the San Joaquin River Delta in Stockton CA. Riverpoint RV and Marina is a nice (small) park with water and electrical hookups. (Dump station available). We were 50' from the WiFi repeater so we had excellent reception. Back up to within 15 feet of water. Very busy water traffic on the weekends, light during the week. Easy access off I-5. Met some nice folks.

IMG_0834.JPG
IMG_0836.JPG

Been in Rock Springs at the Newmar International Rally, in Rock Springs Wyoming.
Our "Caravan" starts tomorrow!
Been a fun week!
20220715_191923.jpg

Attachments

• 20220719_075803.jpg
    20220719_075803.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 11
Well today we are sitting in a typical hotel room on the Michigan/Indiana border near Shipshewana where Im getting a new air conditioner tomorrow. National RV refrigeration said they were booked basically forever but if I could get there at 5am they would do the job. So I planned and made the reservation and here I am. Early morning tomorrow but thats ok. This is way out of the norm for us but this way I can just run the coach over for the job in the morning and the DW and dogs can sleep in. I should be back in time for breakfast.

Edit: $80 hotel rooms now cost $160. Just like everything else I guess….At least they have a couple deep parking spots.
Bummer about your AC I just had to replace the front one in my 2018 Jayco after only using it 30-40 times and with it also being a heat pump it cost $2500 for replacement and installation.
Brian

Pal’s Brewing Company (Harvest Host) in North Platte, NE. This was one of the best HH stops we’ve made. It was Friday night and the place was slammed. Wall-to-wall people, and I think I counted six Harvest Hosters in their large grass lot. Indoor and outdoor dining and activities, and I may have overachieved with their brews. As far as I am concerned, this one is a must-stop if it fits your travel plans.

This stop included one “Oh crap” moment when I dragged my toad about 40 yards with the trans in “Park”. And that was before the brews.

D09AA447-35BC-4E3B-8F5E-C87BA8262196.jpeg
D8C9C0DD-BDD5-4793-9A61-C6ECCEEBC524.jpeg

Pal’s Brewing Company (Harvest Host) in North Platte, NE. This was one of the best HH stops we’ve made. It was Friday night and the place was slammed. Wall-to-wall people, and I think I counted six Harvest Hosters in their large grass lot. Indoor and outdoor dining and activities, and I may have overachieved with their brews. As far as I am concerned, this one is a must-stop if it fits your travel plans.

This stop included one “Oh crap” moment when I dragged my toad about 40 yards with the trans in “Park”. And that was before the brews.

View attachment 13505View attachment 13506
We stayed at the Golden Spike Tower in N Platt with Harvest Host a few years ago. Pretty interesting, but a little noisy when trying to sleep.

Latest resources

Back