• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Where were you with your NEWMAR today?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
After 5 hours of unbelievably hard rain, the kind that brings traffic to a crawl with flashers on, we finally arrived at R Shaefer Heard state park. Last night I had booked the last pull thru site on the lake which was advertised to accommodate an 80' RV.

It's a pretty park, but apparently I'm just not state park material. The road in is challenging to say the least. I'm pushing 70' long and one would think that if the site would accommodate an 80' RV that the roads to the site would do the same. But no, it doesn't work that way.

Had to disconnect the toad to get to the site, and what is advertised as a "pull thru site" is only a pull thru if you circle in, back up, go forward, back up again, and giggle around a few times to get pointed at it, and then you can pull into a site that is so skinny that you're questioning just what the hell you're doing there in the first place.

Turns out this site isn't really designed for a 70' rig/toad, it's actually 2 individual sites that are connected to each other, which apparently in the state of Georgia makes it an 80' pull thru. Government works differently than the real world.

I'm not complaining, it's my own lack of knowledge of how state parks work. And again, I'm not saying it's not a nice park, because it is. It's just not engineered for a 45' London Aire pulling a 20' GMC truck. I knew I was in trouble as we pulled in cuz the guests were all pointing at us and money was changing hands.

The reservation page was clearly written by a 1st year programming student, which can be verified by the fact that my CC was debited for the $165.00 a total of 5 times. Yes, you saw that correctly. Five individual charges, totaling $825.00. A very nice, and equally uninformed lady at the gate said it was probably the side effect of the power going out during the storm.

Anyhow, we're here and I'm going to have a beer or two. Oh heck, who am I kidding, it'll probably be more like 4 or 5. :)

DSCN3822.JPG

After 5 hours of unbelievably hard rain, the kind that brings traffic to a crawl with flashers on, we finally arrived at R Shaefer Heard state park. Last night I had booked the last pull thru site on the lake which was advertised to accommodate an 80' RV.

It's a pretty park, but apparently I'm just not state park material. The road in is challenging to say the least. I'm pushing 70' long and one would think that if the site would accommodate an 80' RV that the roads to the site would do the same. But no, it doesn't work that way.

Had to disconnect the toad to get to the site, and what is advertised as a "pull thru site" is only a pull thru if you circle in, back up, go forward, back up again, and giggle around a few times to get pointed at it, and then you can pull into a site that is so skinny that you're questioning just what the hell you're doing there in the first place.

Turns out this site isn't really designed for a 70' rig/toad, it's actually 2 individual sites that are connected to each other, which apparently in the state of Georgia makes it an 80' pull thru. Government works differently than the real world.

I'm not complaining, it's my own lack of knowledge of how state parks work. And again, I'm not saying it's not a nice park, because it is. It's just not engineered for a 45' London Aire pulling a 20' GMC truck. I knew I was in trouble as we pulled in cuz the guests were all pointing at us and money was changing hands.

The reservation page was clearly written by a 1st year programming student, which can be verified by the fact that my CC was debited for the $165.00 a total of 5 times. Yes, you saw that correctly. Five individual charges, totaling $825.00. A very nice, and equally uninformed lady at the gate said it was probably the side effect of the power going out during the storm.

Anyhow, we're here and I'm going to have a beer or two. Oh heck, who am I kidding, it's probably be more like 4 or 5. :)

View attachment 23112
We’ve been there, maybe even the same site. My best recollection is that it took several beers and some good bourbon to unwind after the parking adventure. Congratulations, Jim…you’re a state-parker now!

And now, Starlink is on the "fritz", as my grandmother would say. It was working when we first set it up, but now the app shows an error that says "Starlink was found in a different location". I looked the error up and it seems to apply to home based starlinks. But mine is an RV setup, so the error shouldn't be coming up. But it's dead in the water that's for sure.

Hole? The only hole is on the driving range where my driver departed for the moon. After an unintended ricochet with planet Earth.

Remi Gaillard Golf GIF
You are my new golf partner.😎😄

Anyhow, we're here and I'm going to have a beer or two. Oh heck, who am I kidding, it'll probably be more like 4 or 5. :)

View attachment 23112
The only thing it lacked for you to truly have the state park experience was a lot of big trees.

The only thing it lacked for you to truly have the state park experience was a lot of big trees.
I'm sure I'll hit one on the way out. . . :)

My traveling friend and I are sitting in the Newmar service department parking lot waiting for service tomorrow. The place is almost full. Several new coaches parked in the middle slots and all the back row is full. Two vacant sites next to me. Snow flurries on and off today and more expected tomorrow. As luck would have it I now having an issue with the Oasis. A compressor malfunction and it low 30s. The good thing is the electrical element are working great.

Attachments

• IMG_9999.jpeg
    IMG_9999.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_9997.jpeg
    IMG_9997.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_9998.jpeg
    IMG_9998.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 20
Deer Springs RV Park! Hit Atlanta at 9:45am and it really wasn't all that bad. I'm never comfortable with Atlanta, but at least they didn't have to talk me down off a ledge this time. We set new records, which can be verified by the 6.3 MPG on the computer. But hey, after 3-months, I was ready to get out of this big ol' gal.

DSCN3923.JPG

Heckuva trip, @Jim . Glad you’re home safe and sound.

We just got to Woodway, TX, right next to Waco. Here for a few days to see the sights. Enjoying the water.

IMG_1221.jpeg
IMG_1222.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest resources

Back