RV Model
Vision
RV Length
Chassis
Chevrolet
Engine
Fulltimer
Yes
This seems like it may be a common dilemma, but its new to me.

LP gas was working fine to water heater, fridge, stove, and furnace (supply to furnace. The furnace itself was not operable). I had removed the furnace for service, and plugged the fluted end of the supply line. Still, all appliances worked fine. Reinstalled the furnace, and connected the gas supply line. First thing I noticed is the furnace doesn't seem to be heating. Fan goes (I had replaced the relay), just no heat. This morning when I lit the stove, barley a flame. Consistent small flame, just nothing more. And, water heater won't fire. I hear the click, just no fire to water heater.
It seems coincidental that every thing was fine prior to reinstalling the furnace, and connecting the gas to it. The valve on the LP tank is fully open.

I had difficulty getting the furnace housing back in, and realized the gas line was in the way. I had to jostle it around (somewhat aggressively as my patience ran more thin!). I suppose a small piece of debris could have gotten in to the gas line via the connection point at the furnace...?
There's no smell of leaking LP gas. That's about all I have. I think Ive included everything. Any input would be appreciated!

OK.....question time.
Is your tank "permanently" mounted, or are it/they 30-pound tanks?
Did you turn off the gas at the tank valve(s) while servicing the furnace?
When you turned the gas back on, did you open the valve slowly, or give it a good twist, opening it quickly?

Roger

I do t use the permanently mounted tank. I use 5g size. And switch them out as needed.
I imagine I opened they valve abruptly. Just spun it open.
I’m an irrigation guy, and know to open water valves slowly. Same is true for LPgas?

GTS225 is referring to a safety valve in the tank similar to the tip shut-off. Both functions close and don't allow a hazardous situation to result in a very bad day!

I personally have had both devices set (not at the same time). In my case total shut-off,,not slow feed. However I do look at it as a good possibility, specially with portable tanks. Close the valve and reopen slowly. If the tank fell over then close the valve and slap the tank on the ground a couple of hard wacks to free the valve.

Yep.....that's where I was headed. There's a safety valve built into the fill valve. It prevent a full-flow condition, should an accident rip off a hose or break a fitting. Problem is that they can sometimes get triggered by a quick opening of the valve.
As Kevin said.....crank it closed, let it sit for a couple minutes, then crack it open slowly. Hopefully, that'll correct your gas delivery problem.

Roger

Thanks! I got home from work yesterday to find all was good. I think perhaps the system bled out during the work. I really appreciate the input from you both. 👍🏼

Glad you got it solved. Did that to ourselves more than once on our old class c. Frustrating when things are full and nothing works 😀

Even the 20 lb tanks for the grill will do the same thing if opened too quickly.

Latest resources

Back