Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

JBinFla

RVF Newbee
Hello! I just joined after lurking for a bit. I just bought a new Apex Ultra Lite 256BHS. I need to get a WDH and have heard a lot of good things about Blue Ox so I'm going for it. I notice there are two major ones, there's the SwayPro and TrackPro. SwayPro has the chains and the TrackPro does not. As someone who has never used a WDH can someone please tell me which one of these I would want? I am interested in being able to adjust it easily to set it up and and take it down. I also want something that has sway control (they both claim to).

Lastly, as to the sizing. Looking under my truck at my receiver it says max 1400lb with WDH. The trailer has an unloaded hitch weight of 695lb, UVWR of 5500 and GVWR of 7600lb. Safe to say the 1,000/10,000 hitch will suffice, is there any benefit to getting one with a larger weight rating? They do have a 750/7,500 one but I'm not sure I can keep hitch under 750lb (I'm certain I'll never have 2,000lb cargo so will never be over 7,500 GVWR).

So, can anyone help me decipher which one of the Blue Ox hitches I should get? If someone has a good reason to get a different brand WDY, if you can articulate it well I'm not married to the Blue Ox but I've only read good reviews so that is why I'm going that way.

Thanks!

I can't speak for the company you mentioned, but I have a curt 4pt weight distribution hitch with sway control and it works fantastic. I can make sharp turns with the kit fully installed and the vehicle drove smooth down the highway when traveling from Texas to Moab Utah on our trip last summer even when we caught some very strong winds. The dealer recommended it and I didn't realize it was over rated for my situation until I got home to double check if they set it up right (I didn't question it at the time, but wonder why they sold me one that was rated higher than was needed because they have a similar one that is rated much lower to meet my needs), but it works great so I just ran with it. I did have to set it up myself because although they installed it as part of the deal we made, it was not adjusted right once I checked it by taking measurements of all four corners of my SUV (following the instructions in their manual). My trailer is around 3500 lbs when unloaded, and the tongue weight (not including the WDH) is 490 lbs, while my SUV is rated for a max tongue weight of 670 lbs and can tow 6600 lbs. The one the dealer recommended was rated for a Tongue weight of 1000 lbs., and a Gross Trailer weight of 10,000 lbs, here is a link to the one I have and I am completely satisfied with it, although I think its a bit of overkill Curt 17500 Trutrack WDH & Sway Control. Before I adjusted it, I added all our gear and filled the tanks, so that it would match the weight we would actually be towing, then I adjusted it and got everything perfectly level. I normally leave the hitch installed when vacationing after dropping the trailer, and I just remove the spring bars from it and leave them in the trailer cargo hold. The only time I took the hitch off my vehicle was when we did some offroading trails in Moab, chicken corners, gemini bridges and few other easy trails, because I didn't want the hitch to get my SUV hung up.

Latest resources

Back