• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Ezyrider202

RVF Regular
2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA

About to order a Garmin RV Smart GPS. I like the 1090 because the 10 inch screen suits my attention span the best. I don't have access to the coach this afternoon, but from my pictures, I am slightly concerned that it might block my line of site if mounted on the dashboard. Anyone have experience with this particular model? I've also looked the 890 and 785 models that have somewhat smaller screens. All three seem to have the same functional features.

One other question: Although the descriptions of these models mention road restrictions, traffic and other factors in routing, none of them mention low bridges or overpasses. Obviously that it deliberate. Why?

Thanks for your thoughts.

EZYRIDER202

About to order a Garmin RV Smart GPS. I like the 1090 because the 10 inch screen suits my attention span the best. I don't have access to the coach this afternoon, but from my pictures, I am slightly concerned that it might block my line of site if mounted on the dashboard. Anyone have experience with this particular model? I've also looked the 890 and 785 models that have somewhat smaller screens. All three seem to have the same functional features.
I have the Garmin 890, but if I were in the market for a new GPS, I would buy the latest version (1090) which you are considering. I have mine mounted to the left of my steering wheel. I copied @Neal's setup and it works well for me. Regarding overpasses and bridges, you will input your coach's weight, height, width and the GPS will navigate routes that will be safe for you to travel based on those specs. (Well, most times. ?)

2AE86860-0A3A-4795-9181-95F8E642C0FF.jpeg

Last edited:
890 and 1090 are identical software wise, 1090 is just larger, not newer.

I mount my 770 on the little "wing" piece of glass on my driver door - like the vent of older cars but doesn't open. Sits like ARDs does but on the driver door.

We also use the Garmin RV 890. Considered the RV 1090, but felt it was too big and distracting. The RV 890 works great for us. It sits on a Ram friction mount…

…with a Ram 1” ball base epoxied to it (I don’t like suction mounts)…

You could also use one of these…

TJ

We just upgraded from RV770 to RV1090. After one trip we really, really like the larger screen! In our coach, the Garmin is on far right side of the dash as Nancy navigates and I concentrate on driving. If necessary, with the larger screen I can see the 1090.
I mounted the non-suction mount to a piece of acrylic with machine screws and attached the acrylic to the dash with 3M Command Strips.

Safe travels.

Latest resources

Back