• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Which Weight Distributing Hitch?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I have a R6 and love it. But to each their own.

Selecting a Weight Distribution System​

The tongue weight rating is the most important factor in determining which size weight distribution system you should use. If the bars of the system you choose is rated too high for your setup, they will create a rigid ride, which can result in a bouncing trailer. If, on the other hand, the bars are not rated high enough, the system will be unable to properly distribute the weight, rendering it virtually useless.

To determine the proper weight rating for a weight distribution system, you must first determine your trailer's tongue weight. Then add to that the weight of the cargo behind the rear axle of your tow vehicle. These two measurements make up the tongue weight rating for a weight distribution system
Good point.

Based upon the size, consider fastway E2. It is the less expensive version of the Equalizer but more than adequate for what you have and you get some sway control and can back up without unhooking chains. Avoiding chains like the plague is my mantra. Pretty decent on price also.
Already bought a Blue Ox, but thanks for the input.
To determine the proper weight rating for a weight distribution system, you must first determine your trailer's tongue weight. Then add to that the weight of the cargo behind the rear axle of your tow vehicle. These two measurements make up the tongue weight rating for a weight distribution system
I have no way to weigh my rig, so I took the GVWR of the trailer and
multiplied it by 15%, which was around 1100 lbs., then got a Blue Ox 1500.

Latest resources

Back