Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Who or what is the best provider for internet and TV streaming while camping?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
@Denmitch55 Your question can only be answered with an "it depends" type response. There are a lot of variables regarding internet and streaming in the RVing community. Cost (Equipment and Recurring) , Location(s) you expect to "camp" and conditions at those locations, i.e. if fully tree covered Starlink satellite Internet may not be a good solution. If boon docking or staying substantially away from interstates and city environments cellular providers may not work for you. Service needs are another variable, Your bandwidth and data consumption need to be estimated to help guide yourself toward an acceptable solution. Sorry this is likely not the response you are looking for but as pointed out there are many variables. Once your needs, budget and use cases are defined then you can consider potential provider candidates / solutions.

Who is the best provider for internet and TV streaming while camping?
The best provider is going to be dependent on location. Cellular services have their strong areas, some providers are better than others in a particular area. If you can it's good to have options. I use a Pepwave Wi-Fi/Cellular router that has an AT&T and Verizon SIM in it. Wi-Fi at campgrounds is typically unusable but let's hope that could change someday. The new kid on the block but not cheap is Starlink and I have that and recommend it. On my current trip Starlink remains inactive and cellular has been working great for me. As I work from my RV (software biz including this site) Internet is more critical for me than others.

Search the site and you'll find similar questions and helpful answers. Happy to help further for any more specific questions but as mentioned above "it depends" as there are a lot of variables at play.

Who is the best provider for internet and TV streaming while camping?
We use ROKU with You Tube TV and Philo as paid prescriptions. Along with paid prescriptions we use Amazon Video/ Music, ROKU free tv and Pluto Same as we do at our bricks and mortar. While camping we stream through our T-Mobile phones. We very rarely have any problems. I am looking into a We Boost to help when we boondock.

FYI we have individual ROKUs for each of our (3) TVs. ROKU will allow three tvs to be connected at any one time.

As for what I watch now that I mentioned how I get Internet, I left out the second part of your question. These are where I spend my time when looking at a TV:
  • YouTube Premium
  • YouTube TV - I no longer use my Dish SAT TV service, haven't for a year
  • I do have Amazon Prime but don't really use it
  • I signed back up for Netflix, watched all of 2-3 movies since signing up around 4 months ago
  • I get HBO MAX or now called MAX through my AT&T cellular phone plan

Agree with all the above, i think most of us use some form of Roko or Amazon stick and without Wi-Fi neither are possible. I think the key to this conversation was what’s is the best way to get access to Wi-Fi for a reasonable cost? I’m reading starlink, cable , sat dishes , Pepwave router, or hotspot. (I like the concept of the Pepwave router. I’ll have to read up on how you access Wi-Fi and use it.) it looks like Neal is on to something 😎😎

I'm using Starlink In Motion for my primary Internet connection through my Cradlepoint R1900 5G WiFi router. Streaming works fantastically when I use it but I also have Dish Satellite TV which also works just fine. Although if needed, I also have an AT&T SIM for Internet data in my Cradlepoint router, having Starlink means that is a fallback option. Looking at my data consumption on Starlink it wouldn't be advisable to stream over my AT&T data connection as it's only a 50 GB plan. Streaming, at least in my case, uses a lot of data.

I prefer to be Internet/WiFi efficient and reliable. Starlink has fullfulled my expectations... (y) From my experiences, WiFi/Cable at most RV Parks is not reliable or efficient.

Latest resources

Back