• Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Status
Not open for further replies.

turbopilot

RVF Supporter
Fulltimer
No
Those of you coming over from iRV2 will probably recognize my screen name "TurboPilot". So why am I here now? My story to follow is one I could not tell you over on iRV2 owing to the stern censorship asserted on the forum. They have two big rules over there that are enforced ruthlessly. First, you cannot be critical in any way of the forum or forum moderation. And second they will randomly not allow you to link to information that exists on a "competitive" web site or forum. There are other reasons to be censored over there but these are the big ones.

I joined iRV2 two years ago. In that time I logged over 2,000 posts documenting my "adventures" with a newly purchased 2018 Newmar New Aire. Logging 2,000 posts gives you lots of opportunities to run afoul of the iRV2 moderators. The interesting thing is that to my knowledge I was never censored by a moderator who owned a Newmar. I thought that odd since the Newmar forum is the largest owner forum on iRV2. "007" always treated me with kindness and respect. I don't think he was involved in the punitive side of moderation. He was always the good cop.

The iRV2 forum software is awful. You might not notice this problem if you don't post much, but for frequent posters it makes a big difference to work with modern "post friendly" forum software. Neil's choice of Xenforo was very wise. It is a delightful forum software package.

So I am pulling down my participation iRV2. I simply had enough of the abuse by the forum moderators over there. iRV2 is ad driven. They make their money getting ad clicks. The ads on iRV2 have been getting more and more intrusive making the forum experience progressively worse. The ironic thing is that a frequent poster like me (1,000 posts a year) drive their ad click revenue by all the forum members who follow our posts. I ultimately had to ask myself why I would take the abuse they give frequent posters when we represent their revenue stream. Very odd behavior.

So bottom line, I have all but ended my contributions to iRV2. I will still hang around answering questions but no more active, detailed contributions on that forum. The party is over.

Those of you coming over from iRV2 will probably recognize my screen name "TurboPilot". So why am I here now? My story to follow is one I could not tell you over on iRV2 owing to the stern censorship asserted on the forum. They have two big rules over there that are enforced ruthlessly. First, you cannot be critical in any way of the forum or forum moderation. And second they will randomly not allow you to link to information that exists on a "competitive" web site or forum. There are other reasons to be censored over there but these are the big ones.

I joined iRV2 two years ago. In that time I logged over 2,000 posts documenting my "adventures" with a newly purchased 2018 Newmar New Aire. Logging 2,000 posts gives you lots of opportunities to run afoul of the iRV2 moderators. The interesting thing is that to my knowledge I was never censored by a moderator who owned a Newmar. I thought that odd since the Newmar forum is the largest owner forum on iRV2. "007" always treated me with kindness and respect. I don't think he was involved in the punitive side of moderation. He was always the good cop.

The iRV2 forum software is awful. You might not notice this problem if you don't post much, but for frequent posters it makes a big difference to work with modern "post friendly" forum software. Neil's choice of Xenforo was very wise. It is a delightful forum software package.

So I am pulling down my participation iRV2. I simply had enough of the abuse by the forum moderators over there. iRV2 is ad driven. They make their money getting ad clicks. The ads on iRV2 have been getting more and more intrusive making the forum experience progressively worse. The ironic thing is that a frequent poster like me (1,000 posts a year) drive their ad click revenue by all the forum members who follow our posts. I ultimately had to ask myself why I would take the abuse they give frequent posters when we represent their revenue stream. Very odd behavior.

So bottom line, I have all but ended my contributions to iRV2. I will still hang around answering questions but no more active, detailed contributions on that forum. The party is over.
Very well stated.

Turbo...your contributions on iRV2 were invaluable, I look forward to learning more from you here.

It is really sad that they treated you that way turbopilot! Your posts are awesome! Your map was the best and when the husband saw it he immediately started mapping our trip west. He really appreciated that the campgrounds were for Class A rigs. The mods there taking that down and harassing posters for the slightest infractions are crazy. I got PM for something I said that offended someone a few years ago. I didn't remember what because it disappeared and I couldn't dispute what I said. How nuts! That made me a watcher, not a poster. Really glad you and everyone else are here.

It is really sad that they treated you that way turbopilot! Your posts are awesome! Your map was the best and when the husband saw it he immediately started mapping our trip west. He really appreciated that the campgrounds were for Class A rigs. The mods there taking that down and harassing posters for the slightest infractions are crazy. I got PM for something I said that offended someone a few years ago. I didn't remember what because it disappeared and I couldn't dispute what I said. How nuts! That made me a watcher, not a poster. Really glad you and everyone else are here.

Thanks for the kind words.

I was censored ( aka, [mod edit]) several times when, like your situation, they edited out a post then send me a PM saying they took it down and I had no idea what they were talking about because the content was gone. I am not aware any of my numerous [mod edit] episodes that ever stemmed from a forum member complaint. Most were related to "link back" infractions to other forums or sources which they deemed to be "competition".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Back