Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Jdub62

RVF Regular
Ok the big question, what is everyone using for internet 🛜 connection and can you pay as you go, not a monthly subscription.
Thanks in advance

Depends, are you boondocking or campground, most CG's have wifi, we use KOA's no issues with wifi

Cell phone unlimited data and/or cell phone as a hot spot. Unless, of course, WiFi is available.

Internet for us is not a “nice to have” but a “must have” for work.
We use the following when on the road:
1) Starlink - pay for it when we need it and then pause the service
2) Verizon hot spot from phone 100GB (recently added this when we changed plans - only use as backup for work, no streaming)
3) AT&T SIM card in Pepwave 100GB - been using this for about 3 years but since we now can get the 100GB Verizon much cheaper on the phone hot spot, if the Verizon works well and has good coverage for our trip out west this summer we may drop this grandfathered AT&T plan this fall.
Starlink isn’t cheap, but works well for work, doesn’t have a data cap, we can turn it off for months with no issues and we don’t have to worry about streaming going over a data cap.

Ok the big question, what is everyone using for internet 🛜 connection and can you pay as you go, not a monthly subscription.
Thanks in advance
We full time. We use our phone's Hot Spot even in parks that have wifi. We are Canadian but our plan gives us unlimited in Canada, the US and Mexico (when you can get cell service in Mexico).

Darrell

We have home internet from TMobile - unlimited and unlimited in our phones as well with the plan we are on.

Also have a hotspot from FMCA as a backup, unlimited as well through AT&T. This one can be put on hold 3 months a year.

We can also connect the coach to campground WiFi as another option but we normally don’t.

We are full time so pausing not really needed.

By far the easiest is using the Cellular network, unless you boondock in remote places. Cell phones and Provider programs with dedicated Sim cards are the most convenient if you stay within coverage areas.
If you need significant band width or camp in very remote places, Starlink might be a good choice.

I've not had good experiences with pre-paid sim cards. Most of my colleagues are using mobile plans as well as Starlink connected to an onboard professional-grade router.

I produced a video on this topic and, although it's a year old and this stuff moves fast, the concepts I discuss are still relevant to your question. I hope it helps you a bit.

My setup is cheap and probably unsuitable. I use the $30/mo Visible (unlimited data) plan (month-2-month) (only one 5G tower in our county). I bought a $100 cellphone from Visible to use as a hotspot tethered to a Beryl router in the bus (the router charges the cellphone while it is tethered 24/7). I stream all my TV. In addition to the TV (currently a Roku but I used to use a Firestick), I have two laptop computers and a Nintendo Switch. Everything, including the home security system and the printer, connects to the internet thru the router. The hard drive in my laptop messed up and I've had to replace the hard drive and re-download several of my programs that I typically use. It has not been a problem on the cellphone internet.

I liked the Visible service well enough that I replaced my old Verizon cellphone (dropped the phone one time too many and it died a slow death) with an $80 Orbic Joy cellphone and another $30/mo unlimited plan. I hate the phone. I'm on my second Joy phone and having the same problems with it as my first Joy phone. I wish I had gotten another $100 phone like what I am using for my hotspot. I did use the No-Joy as a hotspot for my tablet while camping this week (I needed to download another e-book). The State Park has signs up for Wi-Fi and they had Wi-Fi last year. They just don't seem to have it this year. Maybe they will later since they appear to still be working on infrastructure improvements. I may replace the No-Joy phone with another phone for personal use later this summer and keep the No-Joy phone as a dedicated hotspot in the truck camper. Not sure since many of the places we camp out west has no cell coverage. And when we go back East for a few weeks, there is no cell coverage where we will be staying either.

Latest resources

Back