• Commercial/Vendors welcome

WiFi on the road

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
@dtrombley if you’re still looking and willing to put out some money, I can’t recommend the Pepwave MaxTransit BR1 Pro 5G highly enough. This is a relatively new device on the market that supports 5G cellular and has a CAT-20 modem, which essentially means it’s the newest in the market and relatively future proof for the next 2-5 years.

Several of us have recently purchased this device and are seeing amazing results.

MIMO by the way is an antenna. With any cellular modem, you want as many antennas per modem as you can get. More antennas means you can potentially access more signal bands from the carrier(one per antenna) and the modem can then aggregate them into a single connection with strong speeds.

Here’s what I am seeing right now for example.

View attachment 9974

To provide a frame of reference, to stream Netflix on a single device in HD resolution, you want a minimum download speed of 5mbps. I am at 224mbps at the moment. That’s very fast internet.
With your setup are you able to STREAM like YouTube?

These devices are easily capable of streaming media to multiple TVs concurrently, assuming you have adequate signal strength from your carrier. Streaming media consumes a lot of data!
Keep in mind the list price of the Pepwave BR1 Pro 5G is around $1500.00. Monthly data plans prices can vary, depending on what you are willing to pay & how much data you consume. External antennas, may or may not be necessary, based on where you camp & travel.
Pepwave also has a BR1 Pro LTEA, with a CAT-20 4G modem with a list price approximately $300.00 less. IMHO, there are pros & cons associated with both 4G & 5G products.
I am a big fan of Peplink/Pepwave products, as are many others on this forum.

Would the Pepwave make my old Verizon hotspot work better than the WiFi Ranger?

As a general statement, the Pepwave BR1 Pro 5G or 4G should perform better than your existing set up.......... all other things being equal.
You may (emphasize may) be able to take the existing sim from your Verizon hotspot & place it in a BR1 Pro device without having to secure a new plan/sim. You would no longer need either the hotspot or the WiFi Ranger.
As noted in this thread, many people on this forum use Peplink devices & are pleased with them. You don't necessarily have to purchase the latest model of the device available. There are other options available.

Latest resources

Back