Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Will water lines freeze if RV is heated inside?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Dillon

RVF Regular
RV Year
RV Make
Coachmen
RV Model
FR200RB
RV Length
24'
Newbie. If I use my RV during the winter and keep the heat on inside the RV, will the plumbing (not winterized) freeze? If not, how cold outside outside can it be to safely go without winterizing?

I would say that it depends on your coach. On my coach, the basement/compartment area has a heat register which will turn activate if the basement temperature drops below 40 degrees. My heating system must be turned on in the coach.

I would say that it depends on your coach. On my coach, the basement/compartment area has a heat register which will turn activate if the basement temperature drops below 40 degrees. My heating system must be turned on in the coach.
I've got a 2005 Coachmen and there is no basement. I think the floor is insulated but not sure.

Has anyone placed a small portable heater in the basement?

Has anyone placed a small portable heater in the basement?
I’m pretty sure that all of the Newmar models have a heat register in the wet bay. Look up high in the wet bay. Mine is mounted on the outside wall.

As has been said, "it depends on the coach." That said, unless temperatures get really low (below zero), there should be enough heat leakage to keep the pipes from freezing as long as the coach interior can be maintained at a reasonable level (60+). A portable electric heater can be used inside the coach (carefully) to supplement the regular heating system, if necessary.

As for portable heaters in the basement, that's pretty iffy. There are special marine (boat) interior heaters that are certified for closed-space use, but the run-of-the-mill portable electric heater poses a fire danger in closed spaces. That said, people have long used a bare 60W incandescent bulb (suspended securely away from any flammable objects) to provide heat protection. LED and fluorescent bulbs will not work for this.

TJ

As has been said, "it depends on the coach." That said, unless temperatures get really low (below zero), there should be enough heat leakage to keep the pipes from freezing as long as the coach interior can be maintained at a reasonable level (60+). A portable electric heater can be used inside the coach (carefully) to supplement the regular heating system, if necessary.

As for portable heaters in the basement, that's pretty iffy. There are special marine (boat) interior heaters that are certified for closed-space use, but the run-of-the-mill portable electric heater poses a fire danger in closed spaces. That said, people have long used a bare 60W incandescent bulb (suspended securely away from any flammable objects) to provide heat protection. LED and fluorescent bulbs will not work for this.

TJ
Thanks for the info. Appreciate it!

With the plastic tubing used for water lines the only problem if the water freezes inside is that you will be without water until it thaws. With my last RV it happend but it was after 3 days where the temperature never went above 28 degrees. We drove to a lower elevation and the water thawed in a matter of hours. The water will not feeeze if it is running, even a matter of drops coming out of a faucet or FW dump valve.

Latest resources

Back