• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Wimpy AC units?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
We just came back from three weeks in Navarre and Gulf Shores. It was a challenge to keep things cool inside. It was extremely hot. But we managed.

Shades down most of the day and extra shade on the windows as needed.
Cover and sky lights to keep heat out.
Cover any window that does not have a shade.
We covered the windshield inside and outside.
About 2 hours from arrival, we started the generator and ran the AC to cool things before arriving. This helped. When arriving the temp was around 100. We knew it would be a challenge to keep things cool.

Rich is correct, about 20 degree difference from outside is what we will see from these units.

About 2 hours from arrival, we started the generator and ran the AC to cool things before arriving. This helped. When arriving the temp was around 100. We knew it would be a challenge to keep things cool.
Absolutely great tip and something I do as well. Again, once the heat is in your coach you're behind. Use your GEN and A/C's even while driving in peak summer heat to help keep temps under control if your coach has this capability.

2017 34 ft Class A with one 15k a/c heat pump combo and one 12 k a/c. In Florida, in July, in partial (less than half) shade, the 15k alone kept the coach at 65 degrees with two adults and two dogs inside. We loaned it to my wife’s son and fiancé for the week.
It was a 30 amp campsite, so both units couldn’t run safely and reliably.

If your a/c is not keeping up with the heat, get it fixed. There’s no reason why a relatively modern unit can’t keep a coach cooled down.

Last edited:
A lot of good info here. For your coach, which appears to have one 15k btu and 1 13.5 k, I’d say the key take-aways here are to clean the units, run both at all times and start them early in the day, do everything you can to shield windows and skylights, park in the shade, and if that doesn't work, consider replacements if you still have the original 23 year old ACs. And if you do that get two 15k units.

I still have the original 13.5 k btu units on our rig. I follow all the advice already given and even if I'm only on 30amp site, I can run both AC - just nothing else ;)

Another thing we figured out was that you need to have wind blowing on you to stay cool - we use a 12V "Endless Breeze" box fan, made by Fantastic Fan. Obsolete now though but it really works great. I tried to buy a new one but alI I found was on a scam site.

To help the AC I painted my roof with a white Acrylic Reflective roof coating like SunShield that they say blocks/reflects 95% of the solar heat. It helped a great deal and was glad I did.

If you're not paying for water, you can get a $10 sprinkler and fix it temporarily to the roof to cool the top, some of the sides and the condenser.

Watch out with a sprinkler. Make sure your ac seals are good, you don’t wast leaks. Replace your ac units!

If you're not paying for water, you can get a $10 sprinkler and fix it temporarily to the roof to cool the top, some of the sides and the condenser.
Lots of hard water deposits, not to mention having things continuously wet is not a good thing.

Latest resources

Back