Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

NvRV

RVF Newbee
I had what seems like a great idea to combat the sun in Texas and not risk damaging glass or seals, and that is to make hinged shutters "covers" over the windows on the exterior.

Design and structure is easily effective and sturdy. I looked it up and couldn't find any products or discussion on it, and I'm wondering if there's some reason no one does it that I'm overlooking?

Like, exterior shutters? Like a house? Sounds interesting but I heard once that some people drive these things down the road at like 65-70mph!

Like, exterior shutters? Like a house? Sounds interesting but I heard once that some people drive these things down the road at like 65-70mph!
That was the only thing I could think that would scare people from the idea, but they'd be hinged at the top so not subject to wind forces pulling them open. It's really no different that the roof vent covers that open upward (and those are brittle plastic).

Lateral wind forces would still lift them, just like wings lift an airplane. Unless you had an air tight seal between the side of the coach and the inside face of the shutter, wind would get in there as you are going down the road and lift them. Then you’ve got all that stress on the sidewall at your mount points from the wind trying to lift them.

if you installed some kind of locking mechanism to hold the bottom against the sidewall during transit, I imagine they’d still make an awful lot of rattling noise.

Lastly, most people just use their day/night shades if we want privacy and also, shutters like this would prevent anyone inside from being able to see out these windows while in transit.

Actually Magne Shades on all of the windows would work. Expensive, but effective. And they are easily removed for transit.

If you don't want to look out the windows, while parked, you could velcro Reflectix to the outside of the windows. That is a lot of work, but agisn, they would be removed for travel.

Actually Magne Shades on all of the windows would work. Expensive, but effective. And they are easily removed for transit.

If you don't want to look out the windows, while parked, you could velcro Reflectix to the outside of the windows. That is a lot of work, but agisn, they would be removed for travel.
We have reflectix now, it just looks too tacky for permanent use. And the shades was the original plan, I just didn't like how expensive it'd be.

I thought hard shutters would be nice if doable to block out the intense Texas sun, could be opened out to double as window awnings, and even provide storm protection to the glass when closed.

They would have rubber seals and latch securely, so not worried about driving. I do see the one downside of not being able to see out the windows while moving. We didn't think that'd be a problem since the front cabin windows where we sit would be open, but I guess it could be undesirable later.

Window tint can be installed that blocks all sorts of UV and reflects heat. You can also get some that make the glass more or less "bullet" proofed. (shatter proof)
During the day it is hard to see inside from outside, but you can still see outside from inside. At night you can still use your shades for privacy.
It was installed where I work for security reasons. Plus you wouldn't be adding excessive weight or have to manage it.
DB

I think you are re-inventing the wheel sort of. As someone already mentioned, with modern day window tinting or the MagnaShade option there really is nothing better for keeping out UV. In addition to all the problems already mentioned about having some type of shutter system installed for driving down the road you need to remember that many RV are already 101" wide. Adding another 2" to 3" in the width could make some newer RVs illegal.

Latest resources

Back