• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Wired for solar

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Did they give you an owners manual for the various subsystems in your RV? Are the panels installed and do you have a charge controller panel anywhere in view?

Rick

Ususally that just means the wires are there, for you to add the solar components, the panels, charge controller etc. The wires may be under an access panel on the roof and the other end may be somewhere in a baggage compartment. I would contact the dealer or manufacturer.

With Newmar it just means the wires are burried somewhere almost accessible. No panels, no controllers, etc. On mine the 6ga solar panel wires end right next to the battery compartment, but since Im using resident panels, I didn’t use it, so its just abandoned there.

There is also a tag on the interior panel with all the inverter controls and other elec controls inside that says “slolar” so I think (hope, wish….) there is probably some kind of com cable back there but I haven’t found the other end so as of now its equally useless, if its even there.

Yours might be a simple run from a connection on the exterior somewhere for 12v panels to the house batteries, and if its there but hidden then it would be a matter of finding the wires in the battery bay and following them out.

While the phrase "wired for solar" may just be a sales gimmick, the wires may be installed, but are they of the correct type and location? Who knows?

I find the actual implementation of a solar system has several steps, requiring different equipment and wiring. Most are custom installs to complex power management systems. I find it takes a LOT of research and study to learn about solar systems, charge controllers, PV cells, and battery maintenance. As well as one's expectation of what will the solar system be providing energy. With solar, much like a generator, one needs in-depth knowledge about the energy demands of the equipment, TVs, lights, microwave, pumps, AC, etc.

And to that end, many of the lesser expensive solar systems have been found to be electrical noise generators, interfering with TV and radio reception.

Latest resources

Back