Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Rre13997

RVF Newbee
I recently bought a 2004 Tiffin bus, I drove it about 400 miles, everything was working great when I suddenly started loosing speed, I thought it was loosing power but the tachometer was reading 2500 rpm’s. The bus was slowing down until it got to 25 mph. I tried to shift gears but it wouldn’t shift just stayed in 1st gear. Anyone ever had this concern?

What coach?
What engine?
What transmission?

Some things to check:

Do you ave maintenance records and if so when was it serviced last?
And fault codes?
If no codes or MILs on the dash put it on a code reader and see if you have any trans codes.

Also there may be some on-board diagnostics through your shift pad but you’ve have to dig into the manual for instructions on how to use it.

To me it sounds like either a torque converter issue (lock up failure or just worn out) or really restricted filter(s). This is just from the hip, but thats where I’d start.

Whats the milage on the coach?

Another possibility is a bad turbo. When they go the rig acts just like you described - high rpm but no speed - barely moves the rig, except Im not sure it would be stuck in first. But it might do that because of the low speed (not going fast enough to shift) and the tranny might be just fine.

Latest resources

Back