Canyon Star 3205
RV Length
Chassis
Workhorse w20
Engine
8.1 L Vortec
Fulltimer
No
While crawling underneath the coach today to clean ABS sensors (another topic) I noticed something shocking ? Each time a body part made contact with the chassis frame I could feel a "tingle". This was certainly not a rock-your-world zap one might get working on a light switch without turning off the power, it was more of a put-a-6 volt-battery-terminal-on-your-tongue sensation. I grabbed various areas purposely (even the wheel hub) and the "tingle" was everywhere. So at home the coach is plugged into 20 amp service. All systems on. Since the chassis IS the ground, I'm at a loss to know where to start looking. I'm NOT an electric guy so consider me a rookie on this subject. I'm hoping that your vast knowledge will steer me in the right direction. Thanks in advance.

Start with a disconnect of the house and chassis battery positive wires. Also disconnect shore.

Then test for tingle.

Add one battery bank back and test. First chassis, then house.

You most likely have a positive wire shorting slightly to ground. This is very dangerous potentially, so worth investigating.

Personally, I would get a digital multi-meter and check the chassis for AC leakage. All you need to do is put the meter on AC and touch one lead to the chassis, and either put the other lead in the ground (dirt) OR just hang on to the lead. You won't feel anything, but you will get a voltage reading on your meter. Then go in the coach and turn off all the breakers and turn them on one by one testing for voltage each time. When you find the circuit that is the problem you will need to trace it out. It may be more than one circuit, but the first place I would check is in the panel for a loose ground or something along those lines.

Latest resources

Back