Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

PSRamblinRoseTX

RVF Newbee
Hi...we are new to this forum and new to the RV lifestyle. We sold our home immediately when it went for sale and didn't quite expect that. Our thoughts were to buy land and build a house. We however have always loved our freedom to go when we want. So we ended up buying a coach and are going to call it HOME. The ONE thing we are nervous about is I have worked from home for 14 years. Its really kept our feet "planted" due to internet requirements. I have read some great convos on here but I'm so concerned about pulling the trigger and not having reliable service. One option that has caught our eye is Mobil Satellite Technologies. They use Peplink routers and also use antennas. You purchase the equipment. They also offer T-Mobile 500GB. The monthly costs is $159.00. I would LOVE to hear from y'all on this and if you feel its a good way to go. I'm worried about the 500GB part more than anything because we run TV, IPAD, and computers and I work 10-12 hours a day soley on internet. HELP!

Welcome to RVForums @PSRamblinRoseTX. I as others also work from the RV, many of us here bought Pepwave routers, I recommend 5Gstore.com, 4G/5G Routers, Antennas, Boosters, WiFi, IP Switches and then find your own cellular plans to fit your needs. Cellular plans change frequently. You can find more details in the forum below.

Welcome to RVForums @PSRamblinRoseTX. I as others also work from the RV, many of us here bought Pepwave routers, I recommend 5Gstore.com, 4G/5G Routers, Antennas, Boosters, WiFi, IP Switches and then find your own cellular plans to fit your needs. Cellular plans change frequently. You can find more details in the forum below.

Hi Neal, Thanks for the response. Since the cellulars have done away with unlimited data, is there any concern with the 500GB a month? Also, what type of equipment would you recommend. Sorry but we are really new at this so looking for some guidance. :)

Usage is based on your needs. Verizon Prepaid still has an unlimited plan I believe, Verizon is not one of my favs, AT&T is, but you just need to find the plans that work for you and you may need multiple. I use 2 x Pepwave units for my needs, actually I have 3 running at the moment as I brought one of my replaced units back online for T-Mobile to have all 3 of my SIM's active at once if desired. Lots of options, plans change often.

Also a full timer working from my RV.
Would encourage you to take a look at the Mobile Internet Resource Center. The free section provides a lot of 'basic knowledge' as well as information about the types of equipment available. Another interesting site is Seabits.com. Their focus is on boats, but, boaters encounter some of the same internet issues we do.
There are a variety of 3rd party resellers offering 'unlimited data only plans'. Some are better than others, many offer a refund if the plan does not work for you. What's available at any given time changes frequently. Choose wisely & solicit opinions of other users.
Based on my research (over a year ago), it appeared the consensus was that Verizon generally had the best coverage through out the US & AT&T was faster. Whatever cellular data plan you acquire, make sure it will work with your hardware. I would also encourage you to consider equipment that will capture WiFi signals in the event you are at a location with good WiFi (would not depend on that as primary source of internet).
I too have the Peplink Max Transit Cat-18. Have been using it since May of 2020 with an AT&T 3rd party reseller plan (limited to 500gb) & multiple Verizon 30gb/mos data plan SIMs. Presently we are sheltering in place at a RV park in coastal SE NC with really good park WiFi (unusual). I consume less than 50gb/mos for work. All TV & entertainment comes over WiFi (consumes 100's of gb's per month @ 720p). Cellular service varies by location. Probably a good idea to use multiple carriers.
Good luck & safe travels.

Probably a good idea to use multiple carriers.

That's the best piece of advice that can be offered. All too often I read posts from people who write "there's no cell service at [specific location]." What I always wonder is was there no cell service at all or simply not with the carrier they use? I currently have plans with all three major carriers; I realize this is overkill but I do business from my RV and having close to 24/7 capability is important to me.

Another thing to understand is that cellular plans are prioritized by the carriers and their effective speed at any given moment is dependent on where they rank in the priority queue. When you sign up for low cost, large data budget plans usually you are buying plans that rate low on the priority list so their usable speed over time may not be as good as you would hope it to be.

I don't run office out of my rig but I have found it is worth getting a high priority plan from one of the big companies. I ask them about priority before I sign up. One might wonder why someone that comes up empty at the end of every month would pay more when they could get a lower cost plan would opt for the higher cost plan? well you hit the nail on the head. We have to be in touch because of family issues.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back