• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Wow!!!!

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
What does a pilot know about driving on snow or ice that I don't? Maybe take up a second career as a truck driver in Minnesota and get back to me.
Heavy truck, lots of momentum. Light truck, no grip for braking, over braking in either situation is a guaranteed wipe out. He minimized damage and risk by remaining upright and on the highway.

If you look at the timing, it took 6 seconds to slow 10mph. That is a long time to react. I'm a commercial pilot and I can tell you that 6 seconds is forever!! Sorry, guess we are just agreeing to disagree!
Guess so!

What does a pilot know about driving on snow or ice that I don't? Maybe take up a second career as a truck driver in Minnesota and get back to me.
Heavy truck, lots of momentum. Light truck, no grip for braking, over braking in either situation is a guaranteed wipe out. He minimized damage and risk by remaining upright and on the highway.
What's the difference? Ice on the road, or Ice on the wings. Guess both are dangerous. Guess if you're a pilot, you would have something loose to try and see what the plane could do in bad conditions! Kinda like someone trying to fly around a truck on slippery roads pulling a trailer, and blaming someone else for the brains you lack!

Pet peeve! Sorry!!!

Nobody said anything about knowing more about you than driving on icy roads etc...
I do know that is why I wanted to fly So I would not have to drive on icy roads!
All I was saying was the reaction time was very slow. If you take that long reacting on icy roads, I don't want to be on the same roads. You have to be vigilant and prepared. I hope you don't disagree with that comment!

Yup, I do. If you slam on the brakes on an 18 wheeler on icy roads, everyone is going to be sorry.

So TheLooks, from your comment I take it you either plow ahead, ignoring what is going to happen or slam on the brakes. Kinda of a myopic view isn't it? I assume you have been driving awhile and know that you apply brakes progressively and if you feel it starting to slide, you back off but then again, I guess that is not possible as all your response is to slam on the brakes and care everyone!! Any normal person with any experience will start to apply SOME brakes IMMEDIATELY! you just don't sit there and watch the action.

I do wonder why I am wasting my time here! OUT!

So TheLooks, from your comment I take it you either plow ahead, ignoring what is going to happen or slam on the brakes. Kinda of a myopic view isn't it? I assume you have been driving awhile and know that you apply brakes progressively and if you feel it starting to slide, you back off but then again, I guess that is not possible as all your response is to slam on the brakes and care everyone!! Any normal person with any experience will start to apply SOME brakes IMMEDIATELY! you just don't sit there and watch the action.

I do wonder why I am wasting my time here! OUT!
I was wondering the same thing! And no I'm not on your side!

IF you slam on the brakes you will seem to accelerate. If you progressively put on the brakes, it will seem like nothing happens for quite some time, on ice. I drove for 40 years in Maine winters in all kinds of ice, snow, icy snow, slush, deep snow, dry snow, etc. Yes, snow and ice are many things and always slippery. NEVER panic, and never apply more braking then the conditions can handle, never turn the wheel in an attempt to move sharply. The results will be you might hit something solid off the road or hit the same object in front of you but out of control. I pointed out the driver minimized his damage and kept his rig on the road. He lived to tell about it. Upside down against a tree is never a good place to be and its what happens if you lose control.

Latest resources

Back