Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Deploying jacks w/out dumping air bags (not related to slide operation)

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

J&JD

RVF Supporter
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Dutch Star 4018
RV Length
40’
Chassis
Freightliner
Engine
Cummins ISL450
TOW/TOAD
Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Fulltimer
No
I’m headed to HWH to have an inoperative Active Air repaired. This morning I called HWH to get help with the system so I could at least make it to their facility. Because I was having problems with the AA system not keeping the air bags inflated, when parked I wanted to deploy the jacks without deflating the air bags as I have done numerous times in the past. The HWH tech was adamant that I must not deploy jacks without deflating the bags. He said I could very likely “pop a bag”. Is this actually possible? I’ve never heard this before and am not sure I believe it. Comments from the all knowing members please.

That last sentence kinda narrows the field a bit. I’m still pondering this…..

My equalizer jacks always deflate the bags prior to deploying the jacks, when I got HWH I always manually dump prior to deploying jacks. Dumping bags before working jacks has been what I've always done.

As you may recall, my last Freightliner visit I had leak checks done and my airbags were all leaking, some worse that others, and I replaced them. Not cheap but having AA I believe airbags are a vital part of the system. You may want to consider having your airbags checked for leaks as you may have the same problem. As I asked on the forum prior to this I saw AA cycling air often and over two visits at FL for annuals I had leak checks done and fittings were found leaking, maybe a few lines, can't remember, and later airbags.

I did have all my air system checked for leaks at Freightliner this year when I had my annual service and no air bags were leaking. I believe most Jack auto level systems dump bags first but I’m not sure the main reason for that is to protect the bags but get the coach body lower to the ground. Manually dropping jacks can be done with bags at any fill. So, back to my main question, does it damage the bags if you deploy the jacks without dumping air?

Is there a scenario/concern where the jacks could hyper extend the air bags?

I have read somewhere that its possible to over extend the airbags with the jacks and cause them to break a seal on either end. In other words the jacks have more usable range than the bags and could over extend them. Not 100% sure but that is my recall. I assume by dropping the air in the bags the jacks do not have to extend as far thus limiting the potential damage?? If in doubt I would go manual on the jacks and only level the minimum you possible can to get by. On every auto jacks system I have owned now auto has always tended to lift the coach higher than I could get it leveled manually.

I don't have active air so I'm not sure which air bags he's talking about. Do they install additional airbags for their system? The normal air ride bags and jacks are both attached to the frame. I can lift the tires off the ground using the jacks and have not "popped" a bag doing so. Sometimes when I am at an overnight stay and I don't want to go through the time it takes to air up before leaving in the morning, I manually lower the jacks to stabilize the coach. In the morning I press "store" to let the jacks retract and off we go.

Sometimes when I am at an overnight stay and I don't want to go through the time it takes to air up before leaving in the morning, I manually lower the jacks to stabilize the coach. In the morning I press "store" to let the jacks retract and off we go.
There are no added bags for AA.
I have done the same as you numerous times with no problems with the air bags. It’s my opinion that the air bags are designed to travel their total distance with or without air. Maybe someone on the Freightliner forum might know.

@J&JD,

Call 1-800-FTL-HELP and ask them directly. Let us know what they say.

Is there a scenario/concern where the jacks could hyper extend the air bags?
I just spoke with someone here at Spartan who was having air issues and he overextended jack and “boom” … shock broke.

Latest resources

Back